Parking ticket but wrong registration!

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
My better half managed to get a Penalty Charge Notice from Lichfield District Council for a “Parking Bay Infringement”. £50 fine reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days. 14 Day Appeal period.

Having examined the Penalty Charge I noticed that the warden had transposed 2 of the registration letters on the ticket such that the registration number is incorrect. It was printed from a hand held electronic machine rather than being hand written.

As well as the registration number they have also noted the tax disk serial number which is correct.

I presume that if they have noted the registration number incorrectly then the ticket is unenforceable ?

Question is, what do I do about it? Do I just sit on the ticket and see what happens or Appeal within the 14 days and tell them the registration is incorrect and therefore not enforceable?

They may well have taken a picture of the car as supplementary evidence but I believe this in only supportive evidence and could not be used to reissue a correct ticket. I presume that they will attempt to trace the vehicle keeper through the DVLA but as the reg number is incorrect we wont be getting that……..but they could trace us through the picture.

Anyone had any experiences of incorrectly made out tickets?

ferrarilover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Right, firstly, let me explain...

I am a degree level law student, I'm not a solicitor, I'm not a barrister, and the information I'm about to give you is based on the rules pertaining to a fixed penalty notice issued for a moving vehicle offence (lets say speeding). I'm not saying this advice/information is correct, so really, it's of no actual use to man nor beast, but it's early and the snooker is not really very exciting, so I'll type it anyway.

Right, a ticket is an offer from the authorities (police, local council, parking enforcement people etc) to settle the matter in question in a cheap and expedient manner. It is NOT intended to represent the full weight of evidence against you. Here, you have two options. Either pay it, or, if you believe it was wrongly issued (that is, you weren't illegally parked, not that you don't think it's fair that you get done even though you were illegally parked), contest it. However, DO NOT contest it on the basis that there are minor errors on the form, this will not hold sway. In the same way that if you are issued with a speeding ticket by the side of the road and the officer gets your number plate wrong, a technicality is not a defence.

Your only real hope is to contest that you were parked legally and the enforcement officer has made an error in assessment when issuing the ticket. You can then evidence his mistakes on the ticket as a slapdash approach to his work. Since the standard of proof in this case will be 'on the balance of probabilities' you will only have to make it seem more likely than not that you were legally parked, very little doubt is actually needed on the part of the arbitrator.

Were I in this situation, I would avoid mentioning the number plate at all. I would write a letter to the authorities stating that the number plate listed on the ticket pertains to a [insert vehicle here, Ford Focus ST-3 2.5 in orange, for example]. Since your vehicle is a [Mercedes CLK230K Cabriolet in red] you believe that an error has occurred and you do not expect to hear any more on the matter.
They will inevitably write back asking for further information. At this point, perhaps invite them to prove that a ticket was issued to your vehicle. At this stage, give them only your number plate. They won't, of course, be able to tie up your actual plate with one on their database. All this is simply weight of evidence to present to back up your assertion that the authorities are inept and that you were not deserving of a ticket.

Not sure I can receive PMs yet, but my E-Mail address is available. Feel free to use it, just let me know on here if you do since, if you don't, it will go into my junk folder and I will probably miss it.

Matt.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
The paperwork has got to be correct. The rego on the ticket HAS to be written correctly. As is the time and date... and place

If its wrong, then it cant be enforced - even if you were illegally parked.

Victoria police are having to refund a lot of money and demerit points because of time code errors (even by one second) in their speed cameras.

Benzman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 coupe
The same thing happened to me some years ago when they quoted the wrong car body colour on the Penalty Notice. The answer to your question is that you do absolutely nothing. If they have the wrong number the DVLA will give them the wrong address so you will probably never hear from them again.

If per chance they do contact you, reply and state that that the paperwork does not match the photograph and therefore the ticket is both ambiguous and incorrect.

You should then get a further letter from them apologising to you and cancelling the matter.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
The paperwork has got to be correct. The rego on the ticket HAS to be written correctly. As is the time and date... and place

If its wrong, then it cant be enforced - even if you were illegally parked.

Victoria police are having to refund a lot of money and demerit points because of time code errors (even by one second) in their speed cameras.

Yes but that is in a country that takes no prisoners - a different story in this small island where the authorities are 'always right' or so they think:rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The slip rule allows other evidence to correct obvious typo's.
The ticket may well fall at the DVLA stage.
I think your chances of arguing the ticket on irregularities is balanced.
Some would say pay,
others delay, depends on how lucky you feel.
I shall just adjust my position on the fence >>>>>>>>>.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The traffic warden will get a bollocking and he will be forever on the look out for your motor and any other that you own.. your life will be hell, you will have to sell up and move to scotland and possible live in 47p2's garage for a few months ..so pay the £25 quid and just make er indoors aware that she owes you.... big time...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Ignore it, try your luck, we get screwed enough by our corrupt systems.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
you will have to sell up and move to Scotland and possible live in 47p2's garage for a few months .....

I'm living there myself at present - but it is quite big so we might never meet each other ...................... :shock:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I once had a parking ticket which had the incorrect registration on it. It read GLC rather than GLG. I didn't bother with it and never heard anything else from them. :lol:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I'm living there myself at present - but it is quite big so we might never meet each other ...................... :shock:

Which reminds me you are in arrears with the rent yet again, the last cheque you gave me bounced :shock::Oops:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I once had a parking ticket which had the incorrect registration on it. It read GLC rather than GLG. I didn't bother with it and never heard anything else from them. :lol:

Fear is a great motivator not to pursue:shock::rolleyes:

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
The slip rule allows other evidence to correct obvious typo's.
The ticket may well fall at the DVLA stage.
I think your chances of arguing the ticket on irregularities is balanced.
Some would say pay,
others delay, depends on how lucky you feel.
I shall just adjust my position on the fence >>>>>>>>>.

The slip rule does not apply in non judicial issuances it is usually applied to court orders and sentences were there has been a typographical error.

If the registration number is incorrect then all records will be incorrect .

All details have to be correct in order for the penalty to be pursued.
if as you say it was an electronically issued ticket there is no way for the warden to correct the error after it has been inputted onto the system.

As stated earlier all correspondence is sent to the corresponding address listed with the Dvla database so you should not receive any letters from them.

DO NOT PAY
DO NOT CONTACT THEM

ferrarilover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
So, all details HAVE to be correct for the ticket to be enforceable? What occurs then when the man comes across a TVR with flip paint, or one of those baby food coloured (green/yellow/gold) BMW M3s? Say he lists the TVR as purple, but the paint is a gold/red/purple flip. Or he calls the BMW green, when the manufacturer calls it yellow, what happens now?

Matt.

C

C180 Chris

I got a ticket for parking in a permit zone without a permit, the street name on the ticket was not a permit zone so i sent a letter saying that the street i was parked in was not a permit zone and that they should send the officer for re training!!

I got a sorry and please ignore the ticket letter back.

As far as i know, ALL details need to be correct.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
So, all details HAVE to be correct for the ticket to be enforceable? What occurs then when the man comes across a TVR with flip paint, or one of those baby food coloured (green/yellow/gold) BMW M3s? Say he lists the TVR as purple, but the paint is a gold/red/purple flip. Or he calls the BMW green, when the manufacturer calls it yellow, what happens now?

Matt.

They do not note the colour of the car.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
They do not note the colour of the car.

probably just as well Helen, when you consider the creative descriptions given by the sales and marketing people.

For example, how many parking executives could spell "Chartreuse", far less identify one? :rolleyes:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
probably just as well Helen, when you consider the creative descriptions given by the sales and marketing people.

For example, how many parking executives could spell "Chartreuse", far less identify one? :rolleyes:

Or even that baby s**t yellow on BMWs.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
To drive a further wedge between the ignore, don't ignore camps, our wardens carry camera's and photograph registration plate of the offending vehicle, so the "it wasn't my vehicle" approach may simply cause them to refer to the photo.

The payment choices are a bit like insurance - pay now at a smaller amount, perhaps unnecessarily if you think you might have got away with it, or pay later at a higher amount.
Life's just a lottery.

Last edited:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To drive a further wedge between the ignore, don't ignore camps, our wardens carry camera's and photograph registration plate of the offending vehicle, so the "it wasn't my vehicle" approach may simply cause them to refer to the photo.

The payment choices are a bit like insurance - pay now at a smaller amount, perhaps unnecessarily if you think you might have got away with it, or pay later at a higher amount.
Life's just a lottery.

Are yuh feelin lucky punk, well, are yuh?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom