Parking ticket but wrong registration!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Are yuh feelin lucky punk, well, are yuh?

I have been acquitted of one "careless driving" and 2 parking tickets inside the M25 (I never seem to have trouble elsewhere?).

So that's me 3, Greater London nil, at present.

It depends to some extent how much energy you put in to it, and perhaps to a lesser extent, the justice of your cause. I suspect they make enough on the easy cases to be able to afford to step back from the awkward ones.

The road signs around the junction (South circular, Putney High Street) were modified after the "careless driving" though - although I thought it suspicious that they had a policeman standing there "just in case" in the first place!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Orbitalegg;
"The slip rule does not apply in non judicial issuances it is usually applied to court orders and sentences were there has been a typographical error."

Continued non payment will result in the debt being registered at the County Court and an Order for Recovery would be sent.
It is at that stage, if they can be bothered (The issuing Council) that an application to correct typo's would be made.
As I have already stated it will probably fall when vehicle keeper information is requested from the DVLA.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Pretty much a waste of time asking on here, all you'll get are many different opinions, all well intentioned, mostly wrong.

If you want a definitive answer look on http://forums.pepipoo.com/ & post the details of your PCN. The Fight Back Forums are populated by solicitors & others with a hard on for the numpties employed by parking authorities & you will get accurate info from people who deal with this kind of stuff day in, day out.

A 10 second search using "wrong reg" turned up http://www.pepipoo.com/search-resul...forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30#859 . This one is recent & seems to match your case pretty closely http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t59460.html .

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
Orbitalegg;
"The slip rule does not apply in non judicial issuances it is usually applied to court orders and sentences were there has been a typographical error."

Continued non payment will result in the debt being registered at the County Court and an Order for Recovery would be sent.
It is at that stage, if they can be bothered (The issuing Council) that an application to correct typo's would be made.
As I have already stated it will probably fall when vehicle keeper information is requested from the DVLA.

The slip rule is only applicable to decisions made by the courts and the council can not apply to change incorrect information on the ticket.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Pretty much a waste of time asking on here, all you'll get are many different opinions, all well intentioned, mostly wrong.

If you want a definitive answer look on http://forums.pepipoo.com/ & post the details of your PCN. The Fight Back Forums are populated by solicitors & others with a hard on for the numpties employed by parking authorities & you will get accurate info from people who deal with this kind of stuff day in, day out.

A 10 second search using "wrong reg" turned up http://www.pepipoo.com/search-resul...forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30#859 . This one is recent & seems to match your case pretty closely http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t59460.html .

Thanks, I did check out this site first but the threads that I read had conflicting advice - just like here ! I didnt see the instance that you have linked to which, as you say, is pretty spot on the same thing. So I will keep the ticket safe and do nothing....

Thanks for all the comments peeps...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A useful post it made me check the CPR and some precedents; I am content but I still feel it will go away at the DVLA stage.

munafb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi 53
when a ticket is issue there is no check done on vehicle owner from reg number. only if payment is not made then they check dvla records.
In this case when they enter the number onto dvla system it will return incorrect vehicle details and they will write of the ticket as they can not contact the correct owner.

So unless you contact them there is no way for them to know who owns the vehicle as they do not have the correct reg number.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
All tickets have a reference number, which can be cross referenced with the photographic evidence.....have a nice day!!!! haha

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I believe the Courts (probably because the odd Judge has been ticketed) are very strict on the details on the PCN being correct but..... it would not suprise me if a local authority appealed on the grounds that there are other sufficient means of identification and further that CPR rules allow minor corrections at the Court order stage.
The LA could then make an application to correct with the aid of say photographic evidence.
Clearly it could be seen as unfair that a Court could correct clear typo's but no one else could.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From the other site, it would appear that the local authority can only request reg details from the DVLA as per the registration number that appears on the PCN. Whilst they could look at the supplementary evidence ie., the photo, they would be acting illegally if they attempted to trace the vehicle using the photo. Thus I presume that they would have to present the ticket and the photo to the court and apply for an amendment before they could trace us.

I shall do nothing anyway and if I get any notifications through then I will pass it to pepipoo to have a got at it.....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I agree sit on it !

Which law would they be breaking by using the photographic evidence ?

ryan3939

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Don't no if its the same for parking tickets, but i got letter saying that id been seen doing 38mph in a 30 zone but due to their error of the clock been set wrong it would not stand up as evidence! I would have never known either!!

HeavyOil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 & 463
Its happened to me twice in five years, same car and same borough. I ignored the tickets, and there's been no follow-up. [Note to the forums' moral guardians - I have a clean licence and these are my only parking tickets in 20 yrs of driving...)

HM Govt and its dependents will get their money back when I transfer the plate and pay huge DVLA fees.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Peeps, just an update on the parking ticket saga. Not heard a word more about it so the correct move, in my case, was do nothing - which I am surprisingly good at ! :) I can't believe I posted that 8 months ago - where did 2011 go ? !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Peeps, just an update on the parking ticket saga. Not heard a word more about it so the correct move, in my case, was do nothing - which I am surprisingly good at ! :) I can't believe I posted that 8 months ago - where did 2011 go ? !

I must never clean my number plates again :D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom