pedal/steering wheel vibration

missmegan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v220 cdi ambient
hi guys....braking problems....when driving at around forty, apply brakes and i get a strong vibration first in brake pedal and then travels up through steering wheel, near the point of stopping it feels and sounds if im driving over the sleepers on a railway track...sometimes i can hear a grinding on the nearside( front i think), my front pads are fine, a neighbour told me the discs are warped,is that the likely cause,......thanks.....04,c220 cdi

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It sounds like your neighbour might be right!!

OP
M

missmegan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v220 cdi ambient
It sounds like your neighbour might be right!!

thanks S-A-M/U-N-I-T.....could there be any other reasons for it,wheel alignment etc. or is the discs the first place to investigate and do i replace all four

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
If the brake discs are gone then you should change them anyway. you said it only comes when you brake, Does it pull to a side when braking? if yes, then it could be alignment or tracking. At around £30 you could get the wheel alighned anyway.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Unlike the 203 to suffer with this, but by the way you explain it, go for disks first!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Sorry to cut this thread up but seeing Amo jump in, looks like we have found pipe to cure your leak Amo!!!

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Excellent..... See you guys on Monday nice and early....

Hopefully it will be a nice day

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
If its been ok before and only just happened and as bad as you say the calliper bolts may be loose ? C/v joint gone --ABS ring come loose-are there any warning lights on ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
sounds like front discs to me. never known a cv joint cause a pedal/steering vibration only under braking conditions. unlikely to be a cv joint anyhow. its a rwd c-class. a problem with the rear discs would cause the pedal and the entire car to vibrate instead of transferring it through the steering

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
sounds like front discs to me. never known a cv joint cause a pedal/steering vibration only under braking conditions. unlikely to be a cv joint anyhow. its a rwd c-class. a problem with the rear discs would cause the pedal and the entire car to vibrate instead of transferring it through the steering

Make you right there T/Pete:D

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
also check for a warped tyre ;)

samabhi126

Reaction score
hi guys....braking problems....when driving at around forty, apply brakes and i get a strong vibration first in brake pedal and then travels up through steering wheel, near the point of stopping it feels and sounds if im driving over the sleepers on a railway track...sometimes i can hear a grinding on the nearside( front i think), my front pads are fine, a neighbour told me the discs are warped,is that the likely cause,......thanks.....04,c220 cdi

Check the brake disc of the wheel. The problem may be there.

OP
M

missmegan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v220 cdi ambient
for future reference, it turned out to be a simple change of back brake pads, vibration is gone...seems the front brakes were taking all the strain, hence the vibrations

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
Thank you for reporting back with the cure :)
Totally worn pad would explain the grinding noise and peddle vibration.
Just puzzled how it would make its way through the steering too? Usually relates to front brakes (hence why you had a lot of suggestions of warped front discs)
Glad your got the problem resolved Missmegan.

djb

Reaction score
for future reference, it turned out to be a simple change of back brake pads, vibration is gone...seems the front brakes were taking all the strain, hence the vibrations

That is interesting, will be suprised if it stays fixed, as am having difficulty in working out how the pads alone can cause this. would like to hear an explaination from anybody of what is going on. Always have thought either warped disc, or rust or other patches on the disc surface gave vibration on braking, or may be distorted tyres/ rims for a lighter type of vibration.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
if the vibration is only there when you brake then it has to be brake related, so always first thing to do is check the discs and change the pads..
Rear pads dragging on the discs will cause vibration as will front pads,

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom