Performance Brake Pads. A reply.

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Yeah i'll stick around.. the only thing i think we will miss (my dad drives it too) is the bite you get from semi-metallic pads, vs. the EBC ceramic Reds.

I do wonder how good EBC are though.. they are a lot cheaper than other competition/fast road pads... a friend of mine has run Yellows on his MR2 Turbo race car, and thought they werent bad... until he tried CarboTechs, and found himself basically stopping before the corners from cold haha!

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
There's got to be someone else out there who makes higher spec pads for this car/these callipers?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can only speak as I have found, that is the first time I fitted them to my 129 SL I over braked for the first few hours, it was as though the car just wanted to stop. The 129 uses a braking system the same as the 220

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Because of my experience of EBC Red I will not be using them again, I will be replacing mine soon along with my prematurely worn discs, and I am going one of three ways, OEM, Pagid Performance or Textar E-Pads.

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
EBC redstuff pads are performance pads for performance vehicles or cars with I think above 200 hp but could be higher.

They themselves say this "Redstuff however as a harder compound does take longer to fully bed in to achieve its highest levels of performance (can be up to 1500 miles/2500 Kms urban use) during which time the odd “Chirp” of brake noise may be heard when starting from cold in damp and cold conditions at walking pace speed. One press of the pedal to clear the rotor of any dampness and this disappears to leave EBC Redstuff a pad that inspires confidence in all cars. The motto is be patient give the pads a full chance to bed down."

As Naraic said, he has used EBC but a different type of red pad with no ill effects. Just be aware of what you are buying and the problems highlighted.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
That is true, much cheaper and simpler to do, I just hate reverse thrust on engines and transmissions, this was all drummed into me at a flying school where prop aircraft are not allowed to fly in the stall mode till well run in.

My 7g box uses the gears much too much for my liking

But you don't want them to get rusty, do you ? ;)

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
I was always taught "gears to go, brakes to slow".

Brake parts are generally cheaper to replace than gearboxes!

This is another subject where will always differ.

I was taught to always use the box to match the speed and changing down was part of "predictive" driving.

And probably my years with HGVs have tainted my opinions. An HGV driver who doesn't use his gears wouldn't stay long in his job. ;)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
This is another subject where will always differ.

I was taught to always use the box to match the speed and changing down was part of "predictive" driving.

And probably my years with HGVs have tainted my opinions. An HGV driver who doesn't use his gears wouldn't stay long in his job. ;)

Agreed, without doubt one should always be in the correct gear, matching speed and revs. How I understood that saying is one doesn't bang in a lower gear to bring the road speed down (only in emergencies!) but to match brake induced retardation and be in the correct gear to accelerate again without labouring the engine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed, without doubt one should always be in the correct gear, matching speed and revs. How I understood that saying is one doesn't bang in a lower gear to bring the road speed down (only in emergencies!) but to match brake induced retardation and be in the correct gear to accelerate again without labouring the engine.

And with auto boxes one is stuffed really, you can select a lower gear, but the box will not drop into it until the car road speed is within the speed range of that gear in the box.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I just purchased EBC Ultimax discs for my CL from EBC Brakes Direct £190 including postage.
By comparison my MB dealer wanted £220 for a set of discs.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Do these alterations not end up costing you more after you notify your insurance, Is it worth paying the additional premium?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do these alterations not end up costing you more after you notify your insurance, Is it worth paying the additional premium?

You do not have to notify anyone if you change the disc or pads, modify then yes

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202

Only if you fit the AMG/brembo calipers, pads and discs from the C32 to your W202 ;)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
And with auto boxes one is stuffed really, you can select a lower gear, but the box will not drop into it until the car road speed is within the speed range of that gear in the box.

Not at all, isn't that what one does in a manual car anyway? One wouldn't engage a gear that is too low for the road speed, one would over-rev the engine!

I had plenty of opportunity to study Stuttgart taxi drivers at work. They nudge the box down well in advance of slowing the car with the brakes and the box simply drops the gear when in range. They are the kings at the rapid getaway from lights etc.. ;) :D

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not at all, isn't that what one does in a manual car anyway? One wouldn't engage a gear that is too low for the road speed, one would over-rev the engine!

I had plenty of opportunity to study Stuttgart taxi drivers at work. They nudge the box down well in advance of slowing the car with the brakes and the box simply drops the gear when in range. They are the kings at the rapid getaway from lights etc.. ;) :D

We are talking auto boxes here in the main, you can select a gear that is too low for the road speed, and the box will not engage that gear until the speed range is in the range of that gear and this is what I said the first time round:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

We are talking auto boxes here in the main, you can select a gear that is too low for the road speed, and the box will not engage that gear until the speed range is in the range of that gear and this is what I said the first time round:D

You misunderstand Malc, I was responding to your comment that "with auto boxes one is stuffed really" by saying one wouldn't drop a manual box into a gear too low for the road speed and that's exactly what the auto boxes do (as exampled by the Stuttgart taxi drivers) and so one isn't "stuffed" as you say. :D :D

Auto boxes reflect the actions of manuals except they cannot predict when a downshift is required and rely on the driver's intervention

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
why buy an auto and drive it like a manual?

In waft mode no reason at all :cool: but if driving "enthusiastically" the auto cannot predict what to do, so relies on the driver to intervene (see my post above in response to Malc).

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom