Performance Mods for MB C220 CDi W203

pande_monium

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 54 Reg Avantgarde with Sports package
Hullo folks,

I've got a lovingly maintained 54 reg MB C220 CDi W203 Avantgarde SE w Sports Pack which has done 22k miles only.

I'm wondering what Performance Mods I can do to the car to achieve the best results. I know of some, but am unsure of what results they will have on the car.

Would love to hear about your opinions. Would appreciate if you can stick to the following format:

Modification : (what part/item is to be modified)
Effect: (What will be the expected result post modification)
Cost: (How much will the mod cost?)
Where: (recommended places for the mod)
Cons: (What are the flip-sides / negative results of this mod)
Insurance Effect: (Will this affect the car's insurance)

I'll start off the 1st one:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Modification : K&N Air Filter E-2018
Effect: Increases air flow to the engine, cleaner throttle, quicker response
Cost: £42 - £50
Where: K&N's recommended resellers. eBay.
Cons: None
Insurance Effect: Not sure... anybody?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Not to sure about K+N filters. being a turbo diesel, your biggest mod is going to be from a re-map.

GCL Tuning is a member on here and is likely to proffer an oppinion, the general consensus is that remaps are better than plug in boxes as remaps can be adjusted to suit your engine's characteristics.

GCLTuning

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.gcltuning.co.uk
This is correct,

Modification : GCL Bespoke Software Upgrade
Effect quicker response, More Power , More torque , More MPG , Reduced Co2 Output ,
Cost: £300 - £2600
Where: www.GCLTuning.co.uk / 01284 70 66 63
Insurance Effect: If stated for performance expect a rise of around up to £50 (dependant on broker)

You will be looking at some large gains both performance and economy wise.

Gains - 40-45 BHP / 80-85 NM of torque

MPG + 4-7

GCL Software includes the following

- Warranty
- TUV Approval
- 7 Money Back Trial

Hope this is of use to you ....

Kind Regards

Tony @ GCL Tuning

Last edited:

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Tony,

I've always been interested in what you can do especially with the turbo cars. What I don't understand is the cost per above, it is quite a wide range . Is it dependent on type of map, or the amount of time you spend with the owner customising it?

Many Thanks

therowans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 cdi
plug ins

I have seen units on ebay for around £300, don't know what they are like though.

OP
P

pande_monium

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it is quite a wide range . Is it dependent on type of map, or the amount of time you spend with the owner customising it?

LOL You stole the words out of my mouth!

@Tony - 300-2600 is a really wide range. Please could you give a break-up of what would be involved and how much it costs?

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
K&N filters, there is a con . the oil from filter can contaminated the AFM and it produce every little gain £/bhp

GCLTuning

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.gcltuning.co.uk

LOL You stole the words out of my mouth!

@Tony - 300-2600 is a really wide range. Please could you give a break-up of what would be involved and how much it costs?

Hi Chaps ,

The price large price band is dependant on many factors such as

- Development ( Time / Cost )

- Labour

- Warranty (per unit)

- Approval (per unit)

- Type of vehicle

- Type of ECU ( a Virgin file may need to be obtained at a cost )

- Software charge

- Hardware Charge

- Protocall Updates

- BIOS Locations (regarding Block file readings)

Every last part is vital .

Hope this helps

Regards Tony @GCL Tuning

SICDI

Reaction score
Sounds like a plug and play box would be easier and alot cheaper with almost as much power and you can take it off in a matter of minutes if you need to for warranty work;)

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The best performance mods I know affect the driver, to a marked degree, usualy much more than any vehicle mods and cheaper by far.

1 Skid training.

2 Advanced driver training.

If K&N filters were worth having (in the long term) the manufacturer would fit one.

OP
P

pande_monium

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The best performance mods I know affect the driver, to a marked degree, usualy much more than any vehicle mods and cheaper by far.

1 Skid training.
2 Advanced driver training.
If K&N filters were worth having (in the long term) the manufacturer would fit one.

I'd agree to the first 2 on your list... however, completely disagree on the 3rd. It is a well known fact that car manufacturers configure their cars to generic standards, keeping the costs down and trying to keep the lowest kerb weight. In attempting to keep the costs down, they will always choose a normal filter which will last 10-15k miles (and let the customer change it regurlarly), rather than put in one which costs 3 times as much and will last a lifetime. It'll also keep the customers coming into the dealership/franchise time and again for a part change. This is a fact, and, there's no denying this. The car manufacturers are in for profit, just the same way we are trying to save a buck. If you were in their shoes, you'd do exactly the same... or else, the car ends up costing 100k.

A simple look at the list of after market upgrades on any vehicle straightens this misconception. If the manufacturers put in all the best equipment ever possibly available, the cars just wouldn't be feasible to sell.

Regards,
pande_monium

Slacky28

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 S203 modified to 175 PS
K&N Question

I have just bought a C220 W203 and automatically, without having to think about it, repeated 2 (of 5) successful mods I had on the TDCi Mondeo it replaced.

The first was a Dutch-designed Outboard Rail sensor Plug-In from a Company called Essing Dieselperformance. They go through a UK Dealer in Haye on Wye. You can get Eco or Performance settings, both of which help mpg. Less so in my case, down the faster end. Could not recommend more.

Secondly, improved airflow in (K&N or Pipercross). This advertises a further slight BhP enhancement; but my experience is it does a great job of smoothing out the sweet and flat spots on a diesel. With the K&N 57i (fits ford) it had noticeably faster acceleration response in the 60-90 band even after the plug in.
Of course you need the exhaust capacity out to get the extra air out. I got a wider pipe on the Ford but don't need to I think on the W203.

The Chip only really works brilliantly on commonrail diesels. Petrol... difference is too small to justify cost I think (Diesel Kit is £350 is and takes seconds to fit once the engine cover is off).

I had all gains no pain with the Mondeo, except extra insurance... can't see why the CDI (TDCi really) should be different. Time will tell but I took the former owner out in the Merc (Auto box too) and he said "what the F have you done to...."! Regards to all. Slacky

Last edited:

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hullo folks,

I've got a lovingly maintained 54 reg MB C220 CDi W203 Avantgarde SE w Sports Pack which has done 22k miles only.

I'm wondering what Performance Mods I can do to the car to achieve the best results. I know of some, but am unsure of what results they will have on the car.

Would love to hear about your opinions. Would appreciate if you can stick to the following format:

Modification : (what part/item is to be modified)
Effect: (What will be the expected result post modification)
Cost: (How much will the mod cost?)
Where: (recommended places for the mod)
Cons: (What are the flip-sides / negative results of this mod)
Insurance Effect: (Will this affect the car's insurance)

I'll start off the 1st one:

Modification : K&N Air Filter E-2018
Effect: Increases air flow to the engine, cleaner throttle, quicker response
Cost: £42 - £50
Where: K&N's recommended resellers. eBay.
Insurance Effect: Not sure... anybody?

BRABUS D3 upgrade - should be able to pick one up cheap for the W203

Merc_4_Ever

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 c220 cdi
W203 tuning

Hi pande_monium
Are u still interested in knowing the mods for your merc.
I've got great ideas for u.
Regards

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom