Performance of a diesel.

Voodoocars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Hi. I have a 2002 s class 320 cdi ready for sale. I have never driven this vehicle before. I understand that they are a big heavy car, so how does yours drive?
Too me it seems sluggish with a large throttle movement compared to the pick up. Our other two cars are a 525i and a 318d bmw so I am used to those. Is this the way that the MB just drives?

OP
V

Voodoocars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Hmm.. My e39 feels like a go cart in comparison ;). I think that is just the way the car is - a big luxury car with relaxed driving.

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
Why don't you get in it and go off somewhere in a sedate manner, get on a dual or motorway then give it some right welly. You might be very surprised.

OP
V

Voodoocars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
I might do later in the week. I noticed that it has a blast of black soot out the back if you hoof it. I got it from the mother in law to sell for her and all she did was 2-3 miles a day in it for over a year. Could do with a blast I suppose.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I must admit that although I love the car, my 211 needs my toe pressing down along way to move off at anything more than a graceful initi pace, which I generally love, until I have to join a fast moving road and feel it being thrashed...

I have a more suitable car for antics like that :cool:

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
When I bought my E320CDI I also owned a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, the Merc is almost as fast only losing out by around a second on the 0-60 time.

These cars are real wolves in Sheep's clothing, if your's feels lethargic the turbo probably isn't working.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
Agree with all Member Posts on the performance of the e320cdi, although as you say they are a heavy motor, when you put the pedal to the metal on a Motorway, mine goes like a rocket, I give mine an Italian Tune up every so often when safe to do so and it does give a slight amount of smoke until it clears out the gunge in the cat and exhaust.
BAZZER1

OP
V

Voodoocars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class
Well I took it out for a blast today. Let it warm up gently then gave it some stick.. At first there was loads of black smoke out the back but that seemed to settle down a bit after a few 'full throttle' moments. It certainly does shift when you hoof it- a bit deceptive really.
I think the smoke will disappear completely when the car gets some proper use. 2- 3 miles a day is no good for any car long term. Anyway, someone bought it today and is collecting tomorrow. Happy days :)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
You should also bear in mind that your driving an S class.

The car is a bigger than the 5 and 3 series that you're comparing it to and subsequently will feel slower. The only true comparison would be if you could find a 7 series with a similar sized diesel.

I think that you'll also find that the newer MB diesels are pretty quick motors in any guise.

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
I might do later in the week. I noticed that it has a blast of black soot out the back if you hoof it. I got it from the mother in law to sell for her and all she did was 2-3 miles a day in it for over a year. Could do with a blast I suppose.

Sluggish? Adaptive gear box used to mother in law driving it?

malthom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 2007 ELEGANCE
air mass sensor

I had the same prob on my 2001 E320 CDI,I changed the air mass sensor and it was back to normal,ie great exeleration

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom