Persisting problem with memory / massage seats.

MelB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 52 plate, Fully loaded, X5 sport
I have a 52 plate SL55 with massage seats, well at least I thoght I had!
:confused:
I posted a query on them not working not long after geting the car and
Malcolm helped by suggesting they may have been turned off.

I have just had it serviced by a local garage (non MB dealership but one I trust)
They have said that the software ha been completely removed from the system as Malcom thought but inb addiion all the connections below the seat have been tied up sugesting that there was aproblem that the previous owner gave up on. My garage has spoken to the MB dealership who says this is probably a result of cost to repar being prohibitive and thereby the decision was made to eliminate the seats from the diagnostics to stop warning lights etc.
Does anyone know is this a costly job?
Does it have to be done at a MB main dealer?
I am reluctant to pay their exortionate prices and would rather go to a good independant.

Regards

mel

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Having been all through this I can guide you through it,,the comfort seats are the thing that I love most about the car.

The basic layout is, the PSE pump supplies a tank in the boot left hand side to balance out pressures.

A pipe comes from this tank to the inside of the car where it is split to go to both seats.

On early car like mine, the main feed pipe could crease stopping the flow of air or the pipe splitting. This is fatal as the PSE pump would run all of the time and burn out. I do not think that there is any protection via the CAN bus,,but there could be as they are operated via this bus.

There is only the one connector under the seat that connects at the front and clipped too the control panel on the seat.

If this pipe is damaged that does not matter as they are easy to join up by sleeving taken from domestic hand spray cleaning bottles.

The first test is to see if the seats have any leaks in the bladders. I have an air brush compressor that is perfect for blowing up the seat, and all functions other than the massage can be tested, the massage will work once the PSE pump is activated.

So this is the first step before stripping down the backrest of the seat,,though this is easy to do, and is to blow it up and leave it a few days to see if they stay blown up.

By using the one way valve in from a hand spray bottle in the line from the air brush compressor the pressure will be contained in the seat bladders .

The picture shows the compressor that I used with the one way valve in the line.

The stupid thing here with STAR is that if the pump is not activated it gives the message "leak in drivers seat"
Since I have got mine working some 3 years ago that message is not longer there,, When I cleared the 2,987 fault codes from my car,, the leak in drivers seat was not there. :D

Attachments

• DSC00337.jpg
    DSC00337.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 16

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a shame that you live so far away as I could have sorted it out for you :(

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Ive got problems with my memory

Cant remember the last time i had a massage

OP
M

MelB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 52 plate, Fully loaded, X5 sport
Hi Malcolm
thanks for your input again, I have had a quick look under control panel and the pipes have been removed so I believe I will have to get replacements to start with your suggestion of seeing if their are leaks in bladders.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder where or how far back they have been removed,raise both seats up,,they come from the central console I believe

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Ive got problems with my memory
I can remember........ it was a man (her indoors thought it was very funny)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom