Personal number plates

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Yesterday I was behind an Audi, Debadged but with four exhausts and the number plate was 1 then two just two letters probably the persons initials.
I was thinking the number plate may be worth more than the car?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
There's an Aygo around the corner from me with 2 *** which will be the same ..... the same house has 1 *** (same letters) on a go faster Audi.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Yesterday I was behind an Audi, Debadged but with four exhausts and the number plate was 1 then two just two letters probably the persons initials.
I was thinking the number plate may be worth more than the car?

Depends what the car is but it could well be worth more than the car. The more valuable numbers are the other way around, IE two letters then a 1 :)

I used to know a guy that had 1 FAB and FAB 1, They were used on the lady Penelope car but were but hired from him. The car was built on a bus chassis I believe and was built by a Guy I sort of knew called Toby Baxter in Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. Both of these guys are now long gone :(

ONMBDM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C350
Not necessarily the case, loads of people assume custom plates always cost loads but NetPlates Bargain Plates section every once in a while has some of the more expensive formats in there for no money at all.

I think there must be some other identifiers for costing a private plate, since the formatting can sometimes not really make much difference at all.

I'm always keeping an eye out for the cheap deals, I reckon if you snatch up some of these rarer format plates that are going cheap, they should in theory be worth something, more than the purchase price when they're on real good deals...

I just wish I knew how they actually priced them, it's hard to tell man

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not necessarily the case, loads of people assume custom plates always cost loads but NetPlates Bargain Plates section every once in a while has some of the more expensive formats in there for no money at all.

I think there must be some other identifiers for costing a private plate, since the formatting can sometimes not really make much difference at all.

I'm always keeping an eye out for the cheap deals, I reckon if you snatch up some of these rarer format plates that are going cheap, they should in theory be worth something, more than the purchase price when they're on real good deals...

I just wish I knew how they actually priced them, it's hard to tell man
I'd say you're much better off with the DVLA direct rather than an aftermarket re-seller...

DVLA Example

Same plate at your re-seller...

Do you have any connection with "NetPlates"?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Good spot Blobcat. Indeed source is always the cheapest.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I'd say you're much better off with the DVLA direct rather than an aftermarket re-seller...

DVLA Example

Same plate at you're re-seller...

Do you have any connection with "NetPlates"?
See that all the time with numberplates, I think some resellers just copy the DVLA availability lists and add a markup, nice easy business with virtually zero effort.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
The one that is my 2 initials ..1 was £350k last time I looked. Just went to the site linked and it gives me my 2 initials with '..15FAT' & '..15OLD', 'kin cheek as they don't know me :geek::rolleyes::D:cool:

Cant get my 3 initials :(:(

In fact it's an ageist, fatist, sadist site as it brings up loads of members on here as ..15OLD & ..15FAT, ..15SAD: JL, JB, CC, AB etc 'kin cheeky bar stewards :D:D:D:D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The one that is my 2 initials ..1 was £350k last time I looked. Just went to the site linked and it gives me my 2 initials with '..15FAT' & '..15OLD', 'kin cheek as they don't know me :geek::rolleyes::D:cool:

In fact it's an ageist, fatist, sadist site as it brings up loads of members on here as ..15OLD & ..15FAT, ..15SAD: JL, JB, CC, AB etc 'kin cheeky bar stewards :D:D:D:D
Just change your name by deed poll to whatever is on your car already :D:p:cool::rolleyes:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
See that all the time with numberplates, I think some resellers just copy the DVLA availability lists and add a markup, nice easy business with virtually zero effort.

And zero capital investment :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And zero capital investment :)
Agreed, just need a laptop and you can then join a few forums and advertise...:rolleyes:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Not dissimilar to a lot of online retailers where they advertise goods for sale and only when they have a buyer do they order the goods from the supplier/manufacturer.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not dissimilar to a lot of online retailers where they advertise goods for sale and only when they have a buyer do they order the goods from the supplier/manufacturer.

I only buy on-line from on-line retailers who state a 24hr/48hr despatch and are a bona-fide supplier.

As you suggest there are many who give you delivery dates of maybe a month clearly buying after receiving an order, wouldn't touch them with a Barge pole.

I do shop on line quite a bit as I cannot be bothered with trekking round shops and not finding anything. :rolleyes:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Visited a house recently, the owners having a number of cars, all with 2 or 3 digit registration numbers. Must have been at least £2m quids worth of plates.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I used to see A1 on an old Transit van belonging to Dunlop. It's on an old BMW Mini now. How much would that be worth?

MEMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250AMG
I used to see A1 on an old Transit van belonging to Dunlop. It's on an old BMW Mini now. How much would that be worth?

My understanding was that A1 was the first number plate ever issued & may not reside on a car in a museum somewhere.
If not what WAS the first number plate issued - Google will tell me but you'll probably beat me to it!!!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom