Perspective of a new Mercedes owner

POLO

Reaction score
Hello All.

Made the switch to a Merc a couple of months back and got a C320D (although it was badged as a 350 by the time it arrived) in sports guise.

Thoughts?

Love the look of it. It was designed to win people over from Audi/BMW and it's succeeded here, easily one of the best looking saloons on the road.

The engine - Bit clunky around town but I spend most of my time on the motorway where it is immense. Powerful, smooth, responsive and quiet - it's incredible and I'm doing 38-40 mpg on these journeys.

Interior - looks wise I really like it. It's sporty and classy and I'm not sure why it's marked down in some reviews.

So, any downsides? Yep, one that is minor but very annoying. There is a buzz/rattle from behind the drivers vent. Comes and goes but is there most of the time. I have a 21st century Mercedes that rattles like a 70s Rover. Sod's law that I went for a test drive this morning with a technician and it behaved impeccably with not a sound to be heard. By this evening it was back again.

Grrr - is this a problem others have heard about or have I just got a dodgy one?

Cheers

Paul

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hello All.

Made the switch to a Merc a couple of months back and got a C320D (although it was badged as a 350 by the time it arrived) in sports guise.

Thoughts?

Love the look of it. It was designed to win people over from Audi/BMW and it's succeeded here, easily one of the best looking saloons on the road.

The engine - Bit clunky around town but I spend most of my time on the motorway where it is immense. Powerful, smooth, responsive and quiet - it's incredible and I'm doing 38-40 mpg on these journeys.

Interior - looks wise I really like it. It's sporty and classy and I'm not sure why it's marked down in some reviews.

So, any downsides? Yep, one that is minor but very annoying. There is a buzz/rattle from behind the drivers vent. Comes and goes but is there most of the time. I have a 21st century Mercedes that rattles like a 70s Rover. Sod's law that I went for a test drive this morning with a technician and it behaved impeccably with not a sound to be heard. By this evening it was back again.

Grrr - is this a problem others have heard about or have I just got a dodgy one?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, and welcome to the Forum.

Great choice of car and you will find that the performance and the fuel economy will improve as the engine loosens up.

As for the noise, I don't think it is a known problem with the model. I wonder if it might be a foreign body in there? I once had a dead leaf trapped in a ventilation system - although quite how such a thing would happen to a new car I don't know.

Sounds as if something needs "adjustment".

OP
P

POLO

Reaction score
Thanks Alex.

It is a great car isn't it? The idea that the engine might loosen up is a nice one for low speeds but a frightening one for the motorway - drop a gear and it's like a ****** rocket already :D

Feel almost spoilt complaining about the noise but it is incessant. Even double checked with the wife as she's not fussy about such things - but she completely agreed.

I just can't believe it didn't make a sound when the technician was with me. The come and go nature (and the variable pitch and tone of the noise) would suggest an alien object but they won't have a look without something to go on.

Will probably have to wait for first service now at a different dealership and hope they pick it.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Hi and welcome. Rattles are a bugbear, and if its any consolation it will only get better with miles (engine wise). The rattle will be loose trim behind the dash, or a foreign object in their. I got rid of a rattle on my car with a pair of tweezers to remove cr4p from the a/c vent

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Thanks Alex.

It is a great car isn't it? The idea that the engine might loosen up is a nice one for low speeds but a frightening one for the motorway - drop a gear and it's like a ****** rocket already :D

Feel almost spoilt complaining about the noise but it is incessant. Even double checked with the wife as she's not fussy about such things - but she completely agreed.

I just can't believe it didn't make a sound when the technician was with me. The come and go nature (and the variable pitch and tone of the noise) would suggest an alien object but they won't have a look without something to go on.

Will probably have to wait for first service now at a different dealership and hope they pick it.

It's not that bl00dy ferret, is it?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
fully understand your frustration. A rattle can spoil the enjoyment.
Intermittent ones are really annoying.
If you can't get it to appear when driving it with a technician, arrange to have it spend a couple of days with the service manager - just do a car swap. Once he finds it, he can sort it,

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Hi and welcome. Rattles are a bugbear, and if its any consolation it will only get better with miles (engine wise). The rattle will be loose trim behind the dash, or a foreign object in their. I got rid of a rattle on my car with a pair of tweezers to remove cr4p from the a/c vent

Although it is very annoying it can probably be fixed given a bit of time.
When I worked at the Nissan plant, any rattles detected in a panel box section were dealt with by drilling a hole in the offending panel and squirting waxoyle into the void, the foreign body would then become trapped in the gunge and hopefully remain there until the car was out of warranty.

OP
P

POLO

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Getting the dealership to live with the car for a couple of days is a great idea, although I'd try a new dealership as the service manager at this one was a bit of a dick. I might even poke about a bit down the vent although it sounds more like dodgy trim than a foreign object (not that I'm an expert). I suppose dumping rat poison down the vent is an option if all else fails :razz:

Get the slight feeling that dealerships regard this as trivial or with suspicion, even though the technician on my test drive had a spot on attitude.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just a welcome from me :D:D your problem will get sorted out. You have made a great choice of car in my veiw :D

OP
P

POLO

Reaction score
Thanks for all the concern. Just a quick update. I'm not one for taking stuff apart (world's worst DIYer) but noticed the end panel of the dash comes off pretty easy so had a nosey around. Nothing obvious happening in there so stuck a wire down the vent and had a good wiggle. Went for a test drive and no real change. However, next morning it was okay and it's stayed that way for over a week now. I have cancelled the trip to the dealership and am hopeful and confident it is sorted now. Very curious though.

It's made me realise how much it was in my mind because I am really enjoying this fine car in a way I wasn't before...

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Temperature can affect these buzzes

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
It's not that bl00dy ferret, is it?

01010512smileblink.gif

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Thanks for all the concern. Just a quick update. I'm not one for taking stuff apart (world's worst DIYer) but noticed the end panel of the dash comes off pretty easy so had a nosey around. Nothing obvious happening in there so stuck a wire down the vent and had a good wiggle. Went for a test drive and no real change. However, next morning it was okay and it's stayed that way for over a week now. I have cancelled the trip to the dealership and am hopeful and confident it is sorted now. Very curious though.

It's made me realise how much it was in my mind because I am really enjoying this fine car in a way I wasn't before...

Congratulations, and welcome to the world of DIY!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
BIU, brilliant!!!

Drove the C320cdi and its biblically fast, a real A-B wepon, in the real world I doubt the are that many cars that are as fast which offer the relatively luxury (that dash is the only bugbear, comfort and refinement. I tested one and it was a hoot, enjoy it.

OP
P

POLO

Reaction score
I ought to point out that no furry animals were harmed in the fixing of this rattle.

I could be on a roll now and seriously wonder how many household tasks may be accomplished by sticking a wire in the nearest hole and having a good wiggle.

My fun of driving has returned :cool:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom