petrol leaking?

COSTASP

Reaction score
Website
WWW.VT750.COM
Dear fellows,

I got an S3280 W140 1998 and during hot days It starts leaking under the car after I start it.
The pool in bigger when the car is stored for days in my garage. I think it's petrol and it starts spliting the liquid just after I start it for a couple of minutes.
Any idea about it? I don't think its usual cause the pool is quite large.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Where is it coming from under the bonnet or the rear of the car

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E220d AMG-line premium estate (S213)
If it is on hot days, it's probably condensation from your aircon. My C250 (S204) has the aircon "drain" outlet roughly under the middle of the car, about under the centre armrest.

I've noticed it seems to discharge much more water than my old C270 used to, but that could be due to the glorious hot weather, more efficient aircon or maybe both?

I also get "water" from my exhaust (see previous post), especially if car is garaged, due to fair amount of local stop/start journeys. This, I believe, is due to build up of condensation, which is either blown out of exhaust or produces white smoke (steam) as exhaust heats up. On my car, it only lasts a short while.

You should be able to tell if is petrol or water so best have a sniff to test?

Regards
Phil

Last edited:

ssc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E, W210 300TD, Mondeo, Corsa
You cannot mistake the smell of petrol it is quite powerful and easily distinguished, as TV mentioned you need to findout where it is coming from and if it is Petrol then you need to get it fixed ASAP it is very dangerous. petrol as you know is very flammable.

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
petrol leak

if its under the rear nearside passenger area its probably to do with the pump / filter connections . when was the filter last changed? worth doing it anyway!

OP
C

COSTASP

Reaction score
Website
WWW.VT750.COM
After checking again I noticed that it's petrol and drops from 2 holes in the bottom of the tank. When I start the car it drops for a couple of minutes and then it stops. When the car is left for some days to start the pool is significant, estimated around 1/4 litre.
Temperatures in Cyprus gets up to 38-40 C and in the sun up to 55 C.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is this actual holes in the tank and not running off a pipe connection

OP
C

COSTASP

Reaction score
Website
WWW.VT750.COM
It's not leaking all time. Just in the summer when I start the car for a couple of minutes and it comes from the 2 holes in the bottom of the tank. Any idea?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibly from the return to tank system

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It's not leaking all time. Just in the summer when I start the car for a couple of minutes and it comes from the 2 holes in the bottom of the tank. Any idea?

Any ideas?

Yes...patch up those holes or get a new tank. Am I missing something here?

PS...don't smoke in your garage.

OP
C

COSTASP

Reaction score
Website
WWW.VT750.COM
I took it to my local garage but could not find any obvious fault. The hole was not on the tank but in the cover of the pumb. After checking he said that it might be either the pumb or the connectios and he replaced that plastic connector. He said that after a couple of days the car is idle, the pump is working at higher pressure and causes leakage. I will check it again in a couple of days.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not get that reply at all the pump only works at 1 pressure, what fuel is not wanted is returned to the tank via the pressure regulator, plus the car uses more fuel when starting from cold.

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
leak

yes well if he is getting confused with the plastic pump/filter cover and the tank i think you need another mechanic! no offense meant but we are dealing with petrol here! as i said before are the filter to pump connections ok it sounds as though they are not! is the filter leaking /porous after not being changed for years, we dont know as we cant see it , get someone who is competent to have a proper look! two drain holes in plastic cover not the tank!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom