Planing to buy my first Mercedes S600 W222. need some advice

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What are the stats like for safety in the no limit areas?
I'm guessing "pretty good" as the bends are radius'd for 911's at 300kph and the substrate is between 80 and 120 cm thick (not the 40 to 60 cm we have over here) so the surface doesn't subside under the HGV's as ours does.

OP
B

Bogus7430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S Class
Sometimes the roads dont look it but as Blobcat has explained, they are amazing and you feel confident doing those speeds. As I said earlier, I was constantly doing 160 to 170mph and the car was very stable. This was in a Continental Supersports.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I'm guessing "pretty good" as the bends are radius'd for 911's at 300kph and the substrate is between 80 and 120 cm thick (not the 40 to 60 cm we have over here) so the surface doesn't subside under the HGV's as ours does.
What does "bends are radius'd for 911's at 300kph" mean? Sorry, I should Google really!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sometimes the roads dont look it but as Blobcat has explained, they are amazing and you feel confident doing those speeds. As I said earlier, I was constantly doing 160 to 170mph and the car was very stable. This was in a Continental Supersports.

Sounds a great place, I would even like to max out mine on there, but would probably run out of road!!

OP
B

Bogus7430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S Class
In simple terms, That's the curvature of the road and the incline built in. People more stronger with physics will go into centrifugal forces and gravity.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What does "bends are radius'd for 911's at 300kph" mean? Sorry, I should Google really!
Basically the bends aren't so tight that a 911 can't take them comfortably at 188 mph.

They also have great sight lines so you can see well into the distance because at those speeds the distance isn't distant for very long...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Basically the bends aren't so tight that a 911 can't take them comfortably at 188 mph.

They also have great sight lines so you can see well into the distance because at those speeds the distance isn't distant for very long...
So in a 350CDI you could in theory hit 155mph and be very safe, I suppose as safe as the driver?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So in a 350CDI you could in theory hit 155mph and be very safe, I suppose as safe as the driver?
Put it this way, my mother in law at the time was really not a great passenger, she was in the back of my W210 E320CDI with my son on a 10 country European trip and never noticed I was doing 145 mph (GPS not speedo) for a good number of miles.

Our cars were designed to do these speeds and the roads in Germany were designed for our cars to do those speeds on. It's not even close to driving our motorways.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Put it this way, my mother in law at the time was really not a great passenger, she was in the back of my W210 E320CDI with my son on a 10 country European trip and never noticed I was doing 145 mph (GPS not speedo) for a good number of miles.

Our cars were designed to do these speeds and the roads in Germany were designed for our cars to do those speeds on. It's not even close to driving our motorways.
I need to persuade the wife that next time we go to Germany I have to drive!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Spent many a time when driving to Slovakia on the autobahn and happily sit at 120 for mile after mile with my previous 211, there was a lot that still came up behind me rather quickly atvthat speed but the keep their indicator on and lights on to say that are coming and please move if you can.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have done hours & hours at 140MPH in my E350CDI, one of the most stable cars I have been in at that speed.
The Germans expect cars to come up behind them at that speed & don't pull out on you. But even at that speed you need to keep a sharp watch on your mirror, there is always someone quicker than you.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
When I have been driven by German colleagues on the Autobahn, I notice that they anticipate other traffic and junctions much earlier than we do, which makes the high speeds feel more comfortable. Even a Skoda Octavia AWD feels totally at home at 200+km/h.

OP
B

Bogus7430

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S Class
Hi All, almost reviving my post...

So now had my car for a few weeks thoughts will share my experience so far...

What a car.. refinement par excellence!!!!
Most of friends thought I bought an electric car for an instant. It's that quiet. After my share of noisy cars(in a nice way), I love the refinement and stealth this car brings.
Smooth as butter at regular speeds and then when you put your foot down the thing moves.
Just cant get my head around how fast this one goes inspite of its weight. Just need to start anticipating the braking a bit more..

Now to the bad bits (more to do with the dealer)
1)when I took delivery of the car, the car was filthy inside with loads of rubbish stuck behind the rear reclining seats, dirty seatbelts, basically someone has taken one piece of cloth and wiped the entire inside without washing the cloth from time to time..

2) the dealer had replaced both my front headlight units but aligned them pretty bad and the throw was very low.
I complained and the dealer sent me a replacement car (brand new S400) and took my car and then after a week dropped my car back.
So far so good I was starting to think what a service and they valeted the car again.
But after a few days when I got a chance to drive car after dark, the lights were still incorrectly aligned.
I was starting to lose all hope and starting to wonder if this how crap the most sophisticated lights( LED High intelligence etc)from Mercedes are.

Then came the knight in shining armour...

Our very own Mercedes guru Alex..

After a trip down to his garage, he immediately found the issue and sorted it out in 10 minutes and now the lights are perfect and all is well with the world.
If any of you have not met Alex, you should and apart from being able to sort almost everything on your car, you also get to meet a super motor enthusiast...

I now know where all the work on my Mercedes is going to happen going forward and the bonus of him being just 15 minutes away!!!

Back to the car, I am off on my first long drive (to Ghent) and really looking forward to the drive.

Signing off for now...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All, almost reviving my post...

So now had my car for a few weeks thoughts will share my experience so far...

What a car.. refinement par excellence!!!!
Most of friends thought I bought an electric car for an instant. It's that quiet. After my share of noisy cars(in a nice way), I love the refinement and stealth this car brings.
Smooth as butter at regular speeds and then when you put your foot down the thing moves.
Just cant get my head around how fast this one goes inspite of its weight. Just need to start anticipating the braking a bit more..

Now to the bad bits (more to do with the dealer)
1)when I took delivery of the car, the car was filthy inside with loads of rubbish stuck behind the rear reclining seats, dirty seatbelts, basically someone has taken one piece of cloth and wiped the entire inside without washing the cloth from time to time..

2) the dealer had replaced both my front headlight units but aligned them pretty bad and the throw was very low.
I complained and the dealer sent me a replacement car (brand new S400) and took my car and then after a week dropped my car back.
So far so good I was starting to think what a service and they valeted the car again.
But after a few days when I got a chance to drive car after dark, the lights were still incorrectly aligned.
I was starting to lose all hope and starting to wonder if this how crap the most sophisticated lights( LED High intelligence etc)from Mercedes are.

Then came the knight in shining armour...

Our very own Mercedes guru Alex..

After a trip down to his garage, he immediately found the issue and sorted it out in 10 minutes and now the lights are perfect and all is well with the world.
If any of you have not met Alex, you should and apart from being able to sort almost everything on your car, you also get to meet a super motor enthusiast...

I now know where all the work on my Mercedes is going to happen going forward and the bonus of him being just 15 minutes away!!!

Back to the car, I am off on my first long drive (to Ghent) and really looking forward to the drive.

Signing off for now...

Glad this has turned into nice outcome for you. So really, the headlights weren't fitted and tested correctly, and the inside wasn't clean, not great but not the end of the world. I've never sat in any other MB (apart from some E class taxis) so I can only assume what the ride is like.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom