Please help - C200 W202 Misfire

cmulindwa

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a C200 auto 1999 model W202 with 52,000Km on the clock. Its been running ok but recently it started to misfire after the first ignition in the morning. The misfiring goes on for about a minute andafter that the car runs ok. No problem starting. I also noticed that after stepping the throttle hard e.g. to gain enough speed to overtake, the car again misfires and shakes heavily. When i turn off the ignition and start again the engine runs smoothly and the misfire stops. I also notice there is a chain like sound underneath the car when i drive at low speed e.g. when it shifts from first gear to second. Seems to me like low power. Can anyone help? I would like to know what the problem might be before i take the car in for repair or if its something i can check myself, i will be glad to do so. My last service was 3000km ago - changed spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter and airfilter.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
If it was mine I would be looking at the HT leads and plug caps, I had similar symptons on one of my cars and it was a plug cap.
If your engine is similar to mine you will have 2 coils each feeding 2 cylinders each, each coil sits over the top of a spark plug, with a plug cap fitted underneath it and a lead going to the other plug, carefully check the plug cap underneath each coil.

OP
C

cmulindwa

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind reply to my post. It turned out that my MAF was faulty. I tried to clean it but it just got worse. However as soon as i replaced it with a new one from Bosch, the problems were all solved. A 2 minuite job, no resetting or re-programming. Pretty straight forward. Thanks again.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom