PLEASE HELP MISSING ENGINE & Red Hot FRONT Downpipes

stillcool67

Reaction score
:confused:HERE WE GO...TRY AGAIN 92 I9OE 1800 MAN.85000MLS...RAN SUPERB UPTO 2 WKS AGO.STARTED BY MISSING SLIGHTLY WHEN AUTO CHOKE WAS GOING OFF.LATER IN WK BLEW OUT A LOAD OF VOODOO DOLL HAIR FROM BACK TAIL PIPE.STARTED MISSING A BIT MORE AFTER THAT.. BUT SOMETIMES WHEN STOPPED AND RESTARTED AFTER RUN WOULD NOT MISS.?.CHECKED PLUGS 3 OF EM THE OTHER ONE FELT TO TIGHTSO LEFT IT ,THEY WERE CLEAN ANYWAY,CLEANED DIZZY, CHECKED LEADS FUSES ETC ...ALL UNDISTURBED SINCE NEW I WOULD THINK ?WENT OUT 2 DAYS AGO MISSED FOR THE 5 ML JOURNEY GOT BACK.SMELT VERY HOT FROM UNDERNEATH LOOKED UNDER AND THE TWO CYLINDER SHAPE EXHAUST DOWNPIPES OR JUST THE ONE NEAREST ME? WERE ABSALKUTELY GLOWING BRIGHTEST RED WITH HEAT!!? NOT USED SINCE ...STILL STARTS FINE THOUGH FEELS A BIT 3 CYLINDERISH... TEMP NORMAL. SO ARE ALL THESE THINGS CONNECTED OR DO I START WITH NEW DIZZY PLUGS AND LEADS.I DONT KNOW WHAT A CAT LOOKS LIKE ??? BUT THE NEAREST PIPE TO ME THAT WAS RED HOT RATTLED A LITTLE BIT ??BUT YOU WOULD THAT HOT !!! EXHAUST REPLACED AND STILL LOOKS GOOD 3 YEARS AGO.I LOVE THIS LOWRIDER BUT WILL HAVE TO FIX OR FLOG SOON..I DONT WANT TO USE INCASE IT BLOWS UP !! TOP OF A MOUNTAIN SO NEED TRANSPORT.!!:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
hi and welcome to the forums. this sounds like a silencer or the cat at fault. its an internal failure hence the "voodoo doll hair" and the exhaust is partially blocked hence the heat build up and poor running. you can either replace the system or you could try cutting it open and removing the blockage if your feeling brave!

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
Thanks .will have to cut or find blockage section .i suppcse the front bits aren't to blame even though it was them that were red hot.there is a nice looking flatish one along there somewhere.so possibly realy was voodoo hair !! Not got much cash so will have to try and fix or sadly flog cheers again.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
try splitting the exhaust at each joint. when you find a section that makes a difference to how it runs, thats your section you need to cut into or replace.

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
So i shall wd40 all conections sat and have a bash sun.....you would think the power from the engine would unblock...this 1800cc model they say does or dont have cats some say two off!!?..now where the pipes were hot it comes down to 2 same cylinder shapes biult into pipes are they cats or just the shape of my downpipes ?? I dont have a clue what a cat looks like ?unless its up a tree.i would rather fix than flog its a real dandy car.

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
Cheers malcome ,i am talking realy red almost melting point to look at..and lightly rattly. .so i suppose i will remove exhausts from hotpipes towards back and tails.i wonder if i could poke some kind of apparatios down through some of the pipes .ive got a mig welder but never used it .just in case of having to cut into ...the exhaust in its self looks fine .no smoke or anything unusual at the back......still dont know what cats look like though......this seems to have been a straight no mess model...just fancied up with cosy kit and alloys ...looks well. So dont realy want to flog.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The CAT is as soft as butter and you can just break it all up

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and it looks like a small silencer. the first one in the system. but being a 1992 car it may or may not have a cat

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
when you get it running, id run the engine up to normal temp and remove the stuck plug too. it may be a tiny part of your problem. heat and plenty of releasing oil (wd40 etc) and gradually work it in and out a little at a time till it comes out

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
Cheers malcom is that within the cylinder shapes of the downpipes or is that just what they look like..somewhere attached to the exhaust ....sorry for being dumb. But never had a cat car..except the one outside black and white !! Cheers again

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
inside what would appear to be the first silencer nearest the engine/exhaust manifold yes

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
Cheers turbo pete but its arguable whether these models were fitted with 2cats one cat or none ??.?? Hence why i thought the two cylider type shapes in the exhaust twin pipes.. Just above where the red heat focused itself underneath. May have been two cats.?? Within the exhaust it was so hot it rattled a littl a bit like the old school pinking sounds.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not sure as its so long since ive even seen a 190 never mind worked on 1. but a rattle seems to agree that something was loose inside the exhaust, even if it was just due to the expansion due to te excessive heat!. if the car does have a cat or cats, they may have been burnt out now! easiest way to tell if a car is likely to have a cat is to check the downpipe from the manifold for a lambda sensor, commonly known as the oxygen sensor. this is a sensor in the downpipe with wiring connecting it back to the ecu. looks a bit like a cross between a spark plug ad a temp sensor with wires hanging off the top to the eyes of someone thats not overly clued up on cars

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
OK if anyones still up .like malc or tubo ive just been outside in the dark started merc up looked under bonnet its arcing from the coil lead to the dizzy two or three arcs there and along two leads to plugs then theres two arcs leading into metal plugcovers at the side of head holers..its like blackpool iluminations under there ...do you reckon this is all my trouble ??? to get dizzy and leads set ..???

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
ive had car running in the dark tonight and it apears to be arc ing out from coil lead to dissy leads through to metal sheaf on two plucs arcing against cylinder head like blackpool illuminations !!! could this be my problem ??? new leads set needed....

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
Bit late now, night night TO...turbo and malc .and thanks for interesting evening....WILL CHECK IF IT HAS TURBO PLUG THINGY SAT ....THANKS GUYS.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i take it you mean the oxygen sensor? yes the arcing could be the cause of your poor running. new leads should cure that id imagine and maybe treat it to a new distriutor cap and rotor arm whilst youre at it. cant do any harm. as said, id also be tempted to fit a set of new plugs too. when you fit the leads to the plugs, i always give them a little squirt of wd40 up the cap that slides over the plug. this makes sure it gets fully on and located properly. however theres still the problem of your exhaust being blocked,or at least partially blocked. regardless of whether it has a cat or not, this blockage needs to be cleared or it may cause much more severe damage through excessive backpressure building up in the engine

OP
S

stillcool67

Reaction score
cheers pete i have put insulation tape over leads etc( temporarily )im going to have another look tonight .....then get some gear from euro parts...monday.....took it for a run wasnt much better....exhaust didnt get red though ...and didnt miss much it feels like of /on 3 cyls ? .How can the leads etc arc so much everywhere.??? it used to run great two weeks ago ??? Im an ex old school merc owner.50s 60s fintails & 70s 80s 128s etc..THEY JUST GOT OLD LIKE ME ! SO...I.thought this LATER model wopuld be ok....but im having doubts..didnt buy it to work on daily basis on it..??......Confused at that.!! REGARDS PETE...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On a dark damp night sparks can often be seen, the light blue ones are not too bad, its those that are more yellow in colour that mess things up, more so when any arcing sound can be heard. The damp start sealers can work quite well on the leads and cap and might be worth a go

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom