Please help....

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
Hi All,

My previous car is going to the scrapyard in heaven and I need a run around for a year or so as we have a lot going on at the moment. I know a reliable diesel or a 1.6 astra or something would be sensible but that's something I'm not.

I've seen this advertised but its an awful lot of miles for the gearbox, what you avoid like the plague?

£2.5k

155k miles
CLK 320 CDI, 3.0 VG
Auto 7G tronic
Sport Edition
Estate
FSH
Gearbox oil and filter changed
all mod cons
MOT due in August 2018

MOT history looks good

August 2017 - Failed due to Offside Front Position Lamp(s) not working

Advisory items
> vehicle emits a moderate amount of blue smoke, metered readings towards upper limit
> Oil residue on under trays

apparently both fixed and receipted

Silly to consider?

Going to see it later

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
7g - avoid.

Any sort of smoke from the engine with it being a v6 and the later engine too. Don’t bother, and buy an older one with the same miles and more service history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
Really? What could it be a sign of? It has a full service history all mercedes and was last serviced 8k miles ago.

The owner spent 1.5k on it after the MOT mentioned above has receipts

It drove like a dream for the age, completely faultless

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Generally i would avoid any big engined merc that burns blue smoke unless it had sat for 1 year+ without being turned over. the 7G gearbox is big bucks if it goes wrong too. There are so many out there its worth avoiding and finding a better one for the money. I will say however, that its a lot of car for the money - ive just bought my S211 and paid £2.5k. 153k, full history, 5Gtronic, faultless engine, absolutely love it. had an EML come on a week after buying it whch cost me £20 to fix after the diagnosis but that not withstanding i absolutely love it. its fast, smooth, sounds amazing, and (nearly) everything works as it should. i havent been this happy with a car since i bought the SL.

Did you buy it?

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
No, I'm going to bring a mate who isn't so useless with me tomorrow to look again. I fell in a love a little though!

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
go and s
No, I'm going to bring a mate who isn't so useless with me tomorrow to look again. I fell in a love a little though!
see a few more i would! although i fail to take my own advice on occasion as i work out the spec i want and then spend ages finding the exact one.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Be wary if its smoking. There are hundreds of decent MB's out there. Take your time and get something decent.

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
This is the one I went to see

Attachments

• 20180227_223522.jpg
    20180227_223522.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 21
  • FB_IMG_1519770846387.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519770846387.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1519770813115.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519770813115.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1519770822963.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519770822963.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1519770838787.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519770838787.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 20
OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
After the blue smoke advisory on the MOT in August 2017 he had work done, I'll find out exactly what.

Really appreciate the advise so far

I know it would be sensible to keep looking but I'm car-less!

If I knew it would last a year and a half that would do me

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
This is the work done after the MOT

Attachments

• Resized_20180227_224514_684.jpg
    Resized_20180227_224514_684.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 23

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Looks like the cause of the leak has been addressed:) Looks well cared for from the photos.
Ask the owner if the ATF has ever been changed. Should have been done at 40k miles and then every 75k IIRC. Costs about £200 on a 7g so bear that in mind on your offer.

I recognise the location of some of those photos.

About 3 miles from my house.

Good luck and hope suits OK for you.

Edit........just re read your original post. ATF has been changed. Thats good.

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
Thanks sir only a few miles from me too

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
ah, its a diesel (should have read OP a little more attentively). that makes the blue smoke less of an issue and more easily rectifiable. The later V6 isnt as strong as the earlier straight 6, however i stick to my guns with the 7G. you could spend less on a W203 and still get a nice one - especially sub £2k. It depends what you want really. if you want something cheap that going to last a couple of years then i'd plumb for a petrol with the oncoming storm about NOx and the like. Theyre a nicer drive too - and the petrols seem to have less of a hard life than their diesel counterparts.

With the posted one above (W211), its had the SBC pump done and some injectors, so that rules out the two big potential worries with the car. I'd enquire as to whether its had the autobox oil changed at all, and whether the airmatic rear suspension settles when its parked up for more than a few days.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It's been photographed in Branksome Wood Rd by Coy Pond hasn't it? :D

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
If an MOT tester refers to the exhaust smoke being at the upper end of the range then it is a potential problem because at the next test it could be a fail with god knows what cost needed to resolve. And I don't see anything on that receipt that says work has been done to cure the smoke... just the oil leak. Further the MOT is just over 5mths away which will come round so fast if you are facing an emissions issue.

Blue smoke from a diesel... possible piston/bore wear or turbo issues.

Back street car dealer too... but perhaps you know that?

Last edited:
OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
Yep that's it, the guy lives in westbourne. I don't usually buy locally as it feels like I'm just doing it for convenience which isn't a good enough reason but I really like this.

It's definitely had the autobox oil done at some point, I'll find out when.

Cheers guys

OP
C

Clockwork

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None yet
If an MOT tester refers to the exhaust smoke being at the upper end of the range then it is a potential problem because at the next test it could be a fail with god knows what cost needed to resolve. And I don't see anything on that receipt that says work has been done to cure the smoke... just the oil leak. Further the MOT is just over 5mths away which will come round so fast if you are facing an emissions issue.

Ok thanks, I was beginning to feel positive. I thought the oil leak would cause the blue fumes but I have very limited knowledge.

Head is saying no, heart yes

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500

or valve guides if its on overrun.

A lot of diesels smoke to be honest. find a petrol that doesnt!

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>A lot of diesels smoke to be honest

Our 10 & 16yr old diesels at 112k and 150k+ don't and they pass with minimal readings under MOT test conditions.

I would stay well clear now I've looked at its history....

The last owner gets an MOT Aug'17 with advisory of oil leak and smoke. He leaves both issues for 4mths until this Jan when he just has the leak done when it gets too bad to leave at a whopping £1200... but he leaves the smoke issue. 4wks later early Feb (know that because it's untaxed as of 4th Feb) he trades it in and now it's in the hands of a back street dealer. Seems owner got shot as soon as he'd done the min repair to get it saleable??

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom