PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE NOT AGAIN "WHEEL SPEED SENSOR"

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
Dash warning lights up...ABS.ASP.RUN FLAT INDICATOR INOPERATIVE.
Only had Wheel speed sensor fitted couple of weeks ago.
These CL W216 starting to p1ss me off now.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
do these have the reluctor ring like others mercs ? I have a 216 and have never had any issues with this sort of thing

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Brake stop light switch ?

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could be BSS, back to MBS and STAR just to be sure,
What year is your W216 bembo.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Dash warning lights up...ABS.ASP.RUN FLAT INDICATOR INOPERATIVE.
Only had Wheel speed sensor fitted couple of weeks ago.
These CL W216 starting to p1ss me off now.

Sorry to hear that Michael, as I was pleased you got off lightly.
Had that identicsl message and it was the wheel sensor.

If I didnt trust that head mechanic implicitly, ( known him for 20 years) I would have doubted his prediction
Basically once one goes the others follow shortly.

Plus the fact they compare readings on the same axle. So if one is not changed, then the other (unchanged) that was “just about” OK will soon fail the self test diagnostics ( on a comparative basis)

My fourth wss had very marginal readings, but he looked back in the history of fault codes, and it had failed 2x. Hence his suggestion was change it now to avoid another diagnostic charge.

Had I been able to get the car to MBS its worth trying peicemeal. And you might be good for another coulle of years.

Note this guy said reluctor rings on c216s were quite rare, thank god as the rears cost a fortune to take out the rear axle. And he had never seen a EPB switch go yet on a C216.

Best of luck
Peter

On the positvie side once changed its nice to see a clear dashboard ;)

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for that, Peter has the same year W216.
I have a low millage June 2010 CL, I thought maybe just a certain year CL might be susceptible to the wheel sensor problems.

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to hear that Michael, as I was pleased you got off lightly.
Had that identicsl message and it was the wheel sensor.

If I didnt trust that head mechanic implicitly, ( known him for 20 years) I would have doubted his prediction
Basically once one goes the others follow shortly.

Plus the fact they compare readings on the same axle. So if one is not changed, then the other (unchanged) that was “just about” OK will soon fail the self test diagnostics ( on a comparative basis)

My fourth wss had very marginal readings, but he looked back in the history of fault codes, and it had failed 2x. Hence his suggestion was change it now to avoid another diagnostic charge.

Had I been able to get the car to MBS its worth trying peicemeal. And you might be good for another coulle of years.

Note this guy said reluctor rings on c216s were quite rare, thank god as the rears cost a fortune to take out the rear axle. And he had never seen a EPB switch go yet on a C216.

Best of luck
Peter

On the positvie side once changed its nice to see a clear dashboard ;)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Thank you for that, Peter has the same year W216.
I have a low millage June 2010 CL, I thought maybe just a certain year CL might be susceptible to the wheel sensor problems.
Mine went at 43,000 miles Michael if that helps. Circa 4,770 miles per annum (imo thats fairly low mileage ?).

What was your mileage?

But the mechanic said it was also a time thing. Probably “Road-salt Rot” ;)

Interestingly sometime? after 2014 Mercedes changed the WSS part number. Did they have a lot of issues and re-designed it? Or was it just part sharing with other models??

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I purchased my CL at just over 11K, now on 26/27K, I cover just under 3k per year.
According to Colin@MBS the replacement wheel sensor fitted on my car has been modified to sort out the problem we are having. "Now I may need another three"
Still as in the ABBA song its only, More. "Money,Money,Money" :(

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I had a n/s front sensor replaced at about 56000 and then the o/s front at about 59000. It cost about £140 each time at a local indy.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I purchased my CL at just over 11K, now on 26/27K, I cover just under 3k per year.
According to Colin@MBS the replacement wheel sensor fitted on my car has been modified to sort out the problem we are having. "Now I may need another three"
Still as in the ABBA song its only, More. "Money,Money,Money" :(
Sorry Michael
Just saw this. £27K its definitely a time thing. In the old days MB UK would have paid for that.
My top tech. said its mainly time and road salt and also heat can kill them, but my brakes were running cool, he checked.
Hopefully for you he is wrong that once one goes the others often follow shortly. In your case I would still do them piecemeal, hoping the others last. At least you are getting them done at MBS’s favourable rates :)
(I’m still smarting at the labour cost of the Main Dealer) :(

I think its the 8 year itch.
Colin would know, and yes they did change the part no. After 2014.
But I wont own her in 8 years time lol!

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Peter, When it happened again we were having a slow drive in the New Forest on a very hot day, As I had to go back the way we came I drove on to a small gravel road to turn the CL around at about 10mph I pushed the brake a bit hard one or both of the front wheels locked up in the gravel as that happened all the ABS. ASP. RUN FLAT INDICATOR dash warning lights came on as before, Just a bit disappointed as it spoiled a lovely days drive.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Spurious warning lights are all part of the MB experience. I have learnt not to panic, many are just informational, or completely unlinked to anything.

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, Mark. Unfortunately my last spurious warning light cost me a wheel speed sensor and now I may need the other 3 replaced. I never had any of these problems with my E-Type all those years ago!

Will Barber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 CL500 (4.7L M278)
If I can throw in my thoughts on this matter..........
I've had Mercs for 12+ years now, and every one of them eats ABS (wheel speed) sensors.
Do not for a minute think that it's down to a particular model, they're all at risk!
Both my CLK230K and W215 CL500 both has two wheel speed sensor failures, the ML350 that followed (with less than 50k on the clock) went through all 4 sensors withing 5 months.
Bosch are capable of manufacturing sensors of less than ideal quality (if directed by MB for example), and I'm sure that MB want the sensors to fail at a regular rate to hike up service revenues.
I've just had one let go on my W216 CL and have replaced it with a copy costing just £29. It's identical in EVERY way and even gives the exact same resistance readings and I'm sure it's made by the same company but with a better life cycle estimation.
Incidentally, after changing from the genuine MB sensors to "cheap" copies, they never seem to fail again!

I bought myself an ICarSoft diagnostic tester which has proved to be invaluable.

Regards, Will

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only £29, sounds good to me, the warning lights on my dash come on once a month for a couple of days and then disappear so I just ignore them now, glad its not just a CL problem.
Thanks for that Will.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ah, sensors. And CL's.......... the two go hand in hand.

Top Bottom