Pls Help/ Timing Belt

insurance3939

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo 2003 -1,899 cc
I am just about to buy a Merceses Vaneo 2003 and I want to know whether the timing belt is in chain, and whether it needs changing.

i am panicking to buy the car and get stuck on the way to Paris with a faulty timing belt

I am advised by the vendor that all timing belts with Mercedes Vaneo are in Chain and they don't need changing

kindly let me know whether is the case.

also there is light showing SRS airbag remans red. she says needs just reprogramming. I am again wondering whether this could be a major problem with the car

I also need eventually once i buy it, to get it serviced. Where would be the best and most reasonable place to do this, and how much will it cost me?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
also there is light showing SRS airbag remans red. she says needs just reprogramming. I am again wondering whether this could be a major problem with the car ....

If it 'just' needs resetting why hasn't it already been done? I'd get the seller to get it reset before the sale. It could be a very simple or very expensive fix. ;)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The seller is correct in saying the timing "belt" is a chain. Don't worry yourself about that. The SRS light would worry me more.

I would try and contact one of the Mercedes independant engineers in your area to look the car over.

This guy can probably assist you.

www.benzworx.co.uk

DB autos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sls in my dreams
No cambelt fitted it is chain would have srs light checked first as it could be straight forward reset or may need parts that could be exspencive .

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You need the checks BEFORE you buy it.

OP
I

insurance3939

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo 2003 -1,899 cc
SRS airbag

thanks sooo much

can someone tell me please, apparently as i am being told by her the SRS airbag is just about re-setting.....

would you know whether is correct?

she keeps going on that she touched one of the buttons and as a result this light came on, blablabla

look forward to any asssistance.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
thanks sooo much

can someone tell me please, apparently as i am being told by her the SRS airbag is just about re-setting.....

would you know whether is correct?

she keeps going on that she touched one of the buttons and as a result this light came on, blablabla

look forward to any asssistance.

If only we had a crystal ball ;)

The vehicle needs to be connected to a proper code reader or MB's Star to get a proper diagnoses ......... anything else would be just guess work. As above, it could be a simple cheap reset or an expensive bag of worms to fix.

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
If it only needs resetting tell them to reset it then!

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
It's like air con that "just needs a quick re-gas"

If you were selling a car and it was a quick (and cheap) fix then you'd get it fixed as you'd never try and sell a car with such an obvious fault.

My ML has an SRS light on - it needs a new SRS module - best part of £1000 so that is probably why it is still glowing....

Walk away or adjust price, or get owner to get it fixed... and BEWARE of the owner just taking the bulb out - make sure when you put the ignition on the SRS light comes on, and then once engine started it goes out again....

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Not sure if the same, but Ive had red srs a few times.
It can mean a complete failure of a module or just a bad connection somewhere.
But once it has come on, your stuck with it on, even if there were no faults.
Need to go on a diagnostic. At least you would no what area to look at.

Last edited:

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
I am just about to buy a Merceses Vaneo 2003 and I want to know whether the timing belt is in chain, and whether it needs changing.

also there is light showing SRS airbag remans red. she says needs just reprogramming. I am again wondering whether this could be a major problem with the car

I also need eventually once i buy it, to get it serviced. Where would be the best and most reasonable place to do this, and how much will it cost me?

It's a chain, the srs light could be on for all manner or reasons.

Is it cheap? - bit of a spazwagon image to these.

Servicing wise check on here for a reliable local indi.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above the SRS could be anything and STAR is a must, its an MOT failure

OP
I

insurance3939

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vaneo 2003 -1,899 cc
Please advise further

Thanks so much all of your assistance.

The latest is that the Diagnosis Box, says everything is fine except LOW VOLTAGE... do you know what it means?

Also we turn the key, light goes off for a second but comes back on again.

I am torned as I am hesitating to buy the car, worried about whether this could be something serious and me getting stuck whilst driving down to Paris.

Could it in any way affect the drive??? i guess that means eventually during an accident the passenger seat wouldn't be protected, that's it???

Your advice and comments would be truly appreciated

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Could it in any way affect the drive??? i guess that means eventually during an accident the passenger seat wouldn't be protected, that's it???

It won't make it drive any differently but the airbags and seatbelts won't go off if you crash.

Is it a cheap car?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
This "Diagnosis Box" sounds like a fit all and do none properly model.
You should be getting some clear fault codes (preferably Star) from someone who knows what they are doing and fixing it or going for another.
What else is so good about this vehicle that you persist with it ?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Move on

i am panicking to buy the car and get stuck on the way to Paris with a faulty timing belt

I am advised by the vendor that all timing belts with Mercedes Vaneo are in Chain and they don't need changing

kindly let me know whether is the case.

For what it's worth, my humble opinion is that you should HIRE whatever you need for the Paris trip then buy something else when you get back, and have more time to source something that is not so worrying as the one you seem intent on right now.
If the hire vehicle breaks down, c'est la vie, not your problem. It's a buyers market with lots more to choose from that don't all have the problems this one does. I hope this helps.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Mine's passed 2 MOT's with it on Malcolm - it's an advisory not a fail.

I think the law changed on 1st Jan regarding warning lights.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

I think the SRS light being on would now result in a fail.
I'll be happy if I'm wrong though:D

Edit - From an MOT testers forum

"Suppelmentary Restraint Systems (SRS), which in essence is airbags, comes into the test officially May 2012.

At the moment a faulty light will only warrant an advise, but in a few months time it will be a fail.

Check out VOSA's MoT magazine page 8-9 for further info.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/newsletters/mattersoftesting.htm "

Last edited:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I think the law changed on 1st Jan regarding warning lights.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

I think the SRS light being on would now result in a fail.
I'll be happy if I'm wrong though:D

Edit - From an MOT testers forum

"Suppelmentary Restraint Systems (SRS), which in essence is airbags, comes into the test officially May 2012.

At the moment a faulty light will only warrant an advise, but in a few months time it will be a fail.

Check out VOSA's MoT magazine page 8-9 for further info.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications/newsletters/mattersoftesting.htm "

This is correct.
See here............
Supplementary restraints
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if a Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp indicates a system malfunction.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom