Police Speed Check Area

turnipsock

Reaction score
Has anybody any idea what this means and how long do they last?

There are at least six of these signs, two or three miles apart, around J32 J33 on the M6 northbound.

246px-Moto_Forton_services_northbound.jpg

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate

There are at least six of these signs, two or three miles apart, around J32 J33 on the M6 northbound.

246px-Moto_Forton_services_northbound.jpg

24hr motorway service area :rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

[/IMG]

It means that they think there is a problem with speeding in that area & rather than send a patrol car to monitor the problem on a regular basis, they will put these signs up instead & send a patrol car now & again. It looks as though they are doing something about the problem, but means it does not cost them in man hours either. Am I being too cynical?

Russ

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
To be as brief as poss as it was explained to me when we went up to Scotland and they were there last year--
1st camera clocks your speed and reg on entry into the system 1/2 way same again and again its recorded on the last camera--then it calculates a mean average speed for each takes account of the distance and if its over the limit as a mean average speed you get the fine and points delivered by post a week or so later !!-dead sneaky and a great moneyspinner for Mr Brown and the other nice honest people we have voted in to run our country.(dont get me started on that one)----it seems stange to me but you can enter at say 20mph over the limit then slow down to 20mph under for a distance and still be ok?
--My thoughts were if you enter at 100mph would it work to drive at 10 for the rest of the recorded distance?
I wonder if any other members can explain it better ?(or worse have been caught!)

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
...that's average speed cameras. I've never heard of anybody being 'done' with them though.

Its quite funny to watch people that don't understand the word 'average'...they see the camera over the road and slam on their brakes.

I usually spot a car (doing 50) at the start and as long as you are the same distance from that car at the end, you will also average 50. The best plan is to tootle along at around 40 and make everbody overtake you, then pull out overtake them all again just before you leave the roadworks...hours of amusement!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can always change lanes half way through

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
You can always change lanes half way through

yep, currently they only have permissiuon to use 1 camera with 1 lane, so swapping lanes at each camera will mean your not counted in the averages.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
...I don't believe it, surely they will have that angle covered:confused:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Sounds like a situation for having those three sided number plates that roll over to a different registration at the touch of a switch.

...business opportunity there Splatt ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
...I don't believe it, surely they will have that angle covered:confused:

Motorist were warned about changing lanes when they first came out saying that you would get caught, so far in reality they cannot cover more than one lane at present

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
yep, currently they only have permissiuon to use 1 camera with 1 lane, so swapping lanes at each camera will mean your not counted in the averages.

Sounds a bit like urban myth.

Isn't the toblerone number plate an option on the DB5?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Sounds a bit like urban myth.

Isn't the toblerone number plate an option on the DB5?

..surely they will suspect something is amiss with the word 'Toblerone' instead of a regular number:rolleyes:

Dringo

Reaction score
Website
gwoa.co.uk
Your Mercedes
190E > G230 > C240T > SL320 > CLK320 > A180CDi > E320CDi > E350Cdi > G350Bluetec
An example of driving the wrong driving behaviour - Avg Speed cameras result in tailgating as cars attempt to hide behind lorries or get even closer to cars.

A speed course instructor told me that these Avg Speed cameras don't catch too many (i.e. they actually work), but as a result they don't get deployed as much as the ones that make money (that don't work in slowing you down beyond the camera!).

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
And here lies the problem.

Average speed cameras IMO are the best type of cameras. You enter a point where by lots of accidents have occurred and you are limited to a set speed for the entire duration, not just where the cameras are. It means through a village, you are restricted to doing 30 or 40 ALL the way through it. It's a fantastic way of slowing down.

I appreciate the issue with tailgating and getting close to try and hide from cameras, and it is an issue.

However, i like to step back a bit and look at things from a technical and logical way of thinking. And i have a question. I'll point out at this moment in time that i realise we're off topic as the topic isn't on average speed cameras but it's gone that way so i'll carry it on.

We know that not all cameras (of all types) are active. Some are just shells, others are switched off, now back to SPECS.

We have confirmation that they can only record one lane, so effectively, a SPECS area with 2 cameras, if you enter in the left lane, and leave in the middle lane, then you can't get caught. What about a specs area with 3 cameras, on a dual carriageway. Does the average speed just go from 1 camera to the next, or does the average speed ALSO work out on the whole from the first to the last camera. If this IS the case, the entering on the left lane at 85mph, moving to the right for the 2nd camera, and moving back to the left for the 3rd and final camera would result in an average speed of ...85... Thus a prosecution.

If on the other hand, it DOES NOT record a total average and just separate averages from camera to camera. What happens if camera number 2 (the middle one where you move to the right hand lane) isn't on. And the TRUE average is between the 1st and 3rd Camera, both of which you'll pass in the inside lane..... thus.... prosecution.

Just something to think about.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I commuted this section for 2 years.

They go back to the time when Lancs. police used mobile camera vans on the bridges.
The bridges they used were the ones immediately after these warning signs.
Nowadays tend to be ANPR vans.

Police now use unmarked vehicles - often Range Rovers or Volvos.

Beware when you go over the border into Cumbria as they still use vans on the bridges.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom