Some bugger nicked his!!

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
<Whoops>....removes foot from mouth and retires to the back of the room

Seriously, who could be bothered robbing valve caps! If you're that skint, you should be getting the bus anyway.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Dont say valve caps around Malc,

Some bugger nicked his!!

I have tried to post on this,,but could not face it :(:(

Dosco kindly gave some more,,but I forgot to fit them before the last meet,,that makes me feel worse

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
bl**dy kids on bikes nicked mine last week, so i went to the stealers and bought his stock of 16 oem valve caps up, i think they are abt 73p each!

B6 647 2001

enjoy

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Seriously, who could be bothered robbing valve caps! If you're that skint, you should be getting the bus anyway.

We have no trouble around our way but the original metal valve caps went in a few days although I wasn't certain they were taken from home.
Confirmation was the second set that disappeared a few days later. I gave up and fitted plastic ones.

gordofski

Reaction score
Website
www.dreamsdocometrue.co.uk

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I wasn't aware there was that big a market for valve caps!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Are you ready for some now /QUOTE]

i could be as I've spent today trying to throw some paint on the wheelarches! maybe some sparkly new valve caps will complete the look!

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
Valve Cap Warning

Whilst on the subject of valve caps....

My E320 has the posh, expensive, 17-inch twin-spoke alloy wheels. They are virtually new, as Mercedes replaced them under guarantee just before I bought the car.

Mercedes offer a range of valve caps, including a silver-alloy cap with an extended skirt that completely covers the rubber valve stem. This is the valve cap that my wheels had been fitted with.

The valve caps looked very nice, but I have thrown mine away and replaced them with standard (short) Mercedes stainless steel valve caps. The reason I did this was because the extended skirt valve caps were damaging my wheels.

The valve cap skirts flare (bell) out at the end, and the sharp edge of the flare cuts into the wheels protective paint/lacquer finish around the edge of the valve recess. This lets in water and road salt, causing corrosion to set in.

Three of my four wheels have signs of corrosion around the valve recess where the skirts of these extended valve caps have cut through the protective paint/lacquer finish and it's bl**dy annoying! :mad:

Razoo

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for pointing that out Razoo ,, I suppose the water would just sit between the 2

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
Thanks for pointing that out Razoo ,, I suppose the water would just sit between the 2

In my experience, once corrosion sets in on alloy wheels, it slowly migrates between the paint layer and the alloy surface and it can't be easily stopped.

I once bought myself a brand new Vauxhall Cavalier SR, which had a nice set of alloy wheels. I always instructed tyre fitters to only use stick-on wheel balancing weights, but of couse, they didn't.

The knock-on wheel weights damaged the paint finish, allowing corrosion to set in. All four wheels were prematurely written off by the corrosion migrating between the paint and the alloy. The corrosion even migrated under the tyre beads and slowly let the air seep out.

I expect my Mercedes' wheels will look a right mess within a couple of years :(

Razoo

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my experience, once corrosion sets in on alloy wheels, it slowly migrates between the paint layer and the alloy surface and it can't be easily stopped.

I once bought myself a brand new Vauxhall Cavalier SR, which had a nice set of alloy wheels. I always instructed tyre fitters to only use stick-on wheel balancing weights, but of couse, they didn't.

The knock-on wheel weights damaged the paint finish, allowing corrosion to set in. All four wheels were prematurely written off by the corrosion migrating between the paint and the alloy. The corrosion even migrated under the tyre beads and slowly let the air seep out.

I expect my Mercedes' wheels will look a right mess within a couple of years :(

Razoo

These days it is better to have the wheels finished in the bright chrome paints,,it does not suffer from all of the nasties

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I had two wheels replaced under warranty because of corrosion, small pin-head bubbles along the leading edge of the spokes.

Now the two originals are showing similar signs, plus bubbles in the wheel nut apertures. Now MB are the only people to have removed the wheels, but clearly I cannot prove that.

Not sure if they would replace these too? No harm in asking! :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom