possible immobiliser problem C230k

am8631

Reaction score
ok, couldnt start the car today so got the AA out to test the battery. That turned out to be a little low but still in good condidtion.

The car would turn over but wouldnt fire. The AA metioned it might be immobiliser related so tried the little key that is in the black credit card thing - fired first time!!

Got home and tried my other key - still wont start, both the red and green lights flash.

The keys (flip type) unlock/lock the car no problem, but for some reason they wont turn the imob off?

I think i need to sync the keys with the imobiliser but when i stf all the threads seem to be about syncing the keys to the central locking not the immobiliser?

Can anyone help?

ta

Andy Mac

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
does it still work with the little key? you didn't say. if not, have you got the MB alarm fitted?

OP
A

am8631

Reaction score
the little key works fine, and yes its the merc alarm

OP
A

am8631

Reaction score
update: It turns out my spare flip key does work so its definately a problem with the other key.

For some reason in the space of an hour it forgot how to disarm the immibiliser. Im sure this means a new key??? As i cannot find a way of syncing the key to the car. It still operates the central locking it just cant start the car?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
if two keys work, and one doesn't it is a no brainer! if the locking does work then the key is synced as you have surmised. does your ignition switch have a collar that sticks out a little way around the keys?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
update: It turns out my spare flip key does work so its definately a problem with the other key.

For some reason in the space of an hour it forgot how to disarm the immibiliser. Im sure this means a new key??? As i cannot find a way of syncing the key to the car. It still operates the central locking it just cant start the car?

If the key locks the car but cannot start it then I may be able to fix it,,though the flip out keys are not so easy

OP
A

am8631

Reaction score
Hi Malcom

what do you suspect is wrong with it? Duff transponder?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Does the flip out key fob that doesn,t work, make a rattling noise? As sometimes if the key is dropped the transponder chip inside the fob can break loose this chip i think needs to be near the ignition switch as its locaal to the transponder coil (collar around ignition switch) is what turns the immobiliser on and off, you could try just opening the fob and checking for loose components.
The above is only true if your car is a 1997 build, this date is not the first registered date. Mine is a 97 registered but is 96 build date.
If 96 build date the immobiliser will be contained within the alarm system itself.

OP
A

am8631

Reaction score
i took the fob apart and nothing was loose unfortunately - its so strange that it just stopped working?!?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom