POTENTIAL PURCHASE OF THIS CL55 AMG but Vin reads as a CL500

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215
Ermm....did you buy it?

Hi Naraic, sorry didn't see your post, yes I did ...JUST ABOUT! ... Guy still had it but someone was coming to view in afternoon, I simply advised him I am turning up in the morning with the cash, and then after a little inspection (took my mechanic)..walked away with the car.

It's my first ever Merc, and I must say it is a VERY nice car, not many better looking coupes out there in my opinion.

One or two minor niggles though (electrical - pass side seat pulsating mode does not work and drivers window makes an almightly screech going up and down! and ive seen the clocks flicker once or twice) I am near to WDM cars in bham so thinking about taking it down to them for a diagnostic/quote to have it sorted...Anybody used them or have any reason why they think I shouldn't go down to them???

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215
Sorry, my question was rhetorical, I know the C63 has the plaque as do all AMG built engines. It's the engine that makes the car a true AMG.

Sorry! lol

I guess the rhetoric doesn't come through on screen as well as it could haha

Yes, these CL55 (non kompressor) 5.4 Engines are AMG tuned but I think they are actually based on a MB Block (if I am not mistaken the standard 5.0 v8 in the CL500's...perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm?)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One or two minor niggles though (electrical - pass side seat pulsating mode does not work and drivers window makes an almightly screech going up and down! and ive seen the clocks flicker once or twice) I am near to WDM cars in bham so thinking about taking it down to them for a diagnostic/quote to have it sorted...Anybody used them or have any reason why they think I shouldn't go down to them???

New cassette for the door or grease, for the seat do the other functions work

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215
New cassette for the door or grease, for the seat do the other functions work

Yes all the other functions for the seat work (the ones controlled from the door)

It's just the ones controlled from the actual seat that dont work (pulse/side bolsters/lumbar support)...seems the obvious conclusion is lack of power going to the switch, or faulty/broken switch?...unless there is a separate fuse for JUST the passenger side switch? in which case it could be fuse...?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Sorry! lol

I guess the rhetoric doesn't come through on screen as well as it could haha

Yes, these CL55 (non kompressor) 5.4 Engines are AMG tuned but I think they are actually based on a MB Block (if I am not mistaken the standard 5.0 v8 in the CL500's...perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm?)

Yes, my apologies again.

All AMG engines are based on Mercedes engines. Its the tuning, the special internals that make them AMG. "One man, one engine" is the thing that sets them apart and makes the car truly AMG! :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Yes, my apologies again.

All AMG engines are based on Mercedes engines. Its the tuning, the special internals that make them AMG. "One man, one engine" is the thing that sets them apart and makes the car truly AMG! :D

and the fact that one man can somehow knock together a dozen or so engines per shift!!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The question I'm asking, genuinely, is.. Does the OPs car have an AMG engine? If not then it's a CL500 with an AMG body kit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The question I'm asking, genuinely, is.. Does the OPs car have an AMG engine? If not then it's a CL500 with an AMG body kit.

And 48 post later back to square 1

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The thing is with imported cars you can sometimes get away with changing things, the girls in DVLA will ask the question and you can exaggerate a little, I have been there and done it.

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215

Hi, Yes...

As detailed in the post, the car has an engine number starting 113986 (AMG)
and not 113960 (non AMG)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Hi, Yes...

As detailed in the post, the car has an engine number starting 113986 (AMG)
and not 113960 (non AMG)

You've confirmed that by checking on the engine?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
I would not be surprised if the 215375 CL55 had an engine assembled by MB, and am pretty sure they are not a great deal more than a standard CL500, bhp wise.
In other words, there was nothing really special about it, in the way that supercharged or high revving AMG engines are special.

I have driven two of these, and a good few CL500s to compare.
Same engine in the N/A ML55 and CLK55 etc I believe.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes all the other functions for the seat work (the ones controlled from the door)

It's just the ones controlled from the actual seat that dont work (pulse/side bolsters/lumbar support)...seems the obvious conclusion is lack of power going to the switch, or faulty/broken switch?...unless there is a separate fuse for JUST the passenger side switch? in which case it could be fuse...?

If the pulse led goes out on the seat after 3 seconds and nothing happens, the pipe line under the seat could be kinked or ruptured or off but this usually shuts down the pump. so raise the seat from the door and you will see the pipe. Make sure that it is not kinked.

It maybe that the passenger seat is not programmed, I cannot remember if they are separately programmed

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215
The light does not even come on for the pulse function.. As though that switch is getting no power? Although I haven't checked if it is getting power or not yet

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then no power possible so maybe door control ECU,,, I may have a spare that is programmed for these seats that you can borrow

OP
T

TonyCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL55 AMG W215
Thanks for the offer television, although (excuse my simplistic methods) I was first thinking of plugging the driver side control switch into passenger side (and vice versa) and using the controls to be sure it is not just a faulty switch ?? What you reckon? Good plan or am I thinking about this a little too simplistically?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot remember if they are handed electically and the seat controls have nothing in common with the door switches, just the ECU drives the seats

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree

From Wiki...

CL500 = 302 hp
CL55AMG (N/A) = 355 hp
CL55AMG (supercharged) = 493 hp

So it seems the 55 N/A has 10% more capacity, and 18% more power than a CL500.
The 55 supercharged has 10% more capacity, and 63% more power than a CL500.

Did AMG assemble the engine, I very much doubt it, but would love to know!
My guess is that they developed a tune for it, with different cams, and raised capacity, but that MB built it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom