Power loss W202 250 TD

itchey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes 250TD Sport Auto.
Hi,
I have a massive problem with power loss. The car starts up with no trouble but as soon as I press the gas, nothing happens and the engine management light comes on. If I press very slowly the revs build up until I reach about 2500 revs then they die and the light comes on again. Has anyone experienced this problem and has anyone any ideas about? The fuel oil filter and air filter have been changed but it has made no difference.
Thanks,
John

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Have you had the fault codes read? That will tell you where the problem might lie. The only real issues that cause a loss in power on these is a loss of boost pressure. Split hose, intercooler, something like that.

Does the vehicle drive at all?

OP
I

itchey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes 250TD Sport Auto.
Power loss

Hi Steve,
Sorry for late reply. I've been away for a few days. No the car will not drive except if you press the gas very very slowly then it cuts back to tickover at about 2500 revs. I've checked hoses and O rings but can see nothing amiss. I suppose I will have to get it trolleyed to a garage to get it checked out. It's a bit of a bugger because I live in the sticks, but what has to be, has to be.
Thanks,
John

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
Hi,
I have a massive problem with power loss. The car starts up with no trouble but as soon as I press the gas, nothing happens and the engine management light comes on. If I press very slowly the revs build up until I reach about 2500 revs then they die and the light comes on again. Has anyone experienced this problem and has anyone any ideas about? The fuel oil filter and air filter have been changed but it has made no difference.
Thanks,
John

Fuel starvation - check pre-filter/main filter if not already changed.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Engine is not revving

"If I press very slowly the revs build up until I reach about 2500 revs then they die""

A failed TC will prevent the engine from revving and do exactly as the op has said. Have seen it a few times before. The TC drains the power from the engine trying to convert it into the transmission. Hence giving the symptoms of an engine fault.

The EDC light is on, expect to see a fault in the gearbox fault memory too, likely, "transmission input speed has impermissable ratio",

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom