Power Loss

Brian_M

Reaction score
Hi All,

My car is a 2001 C220 cdi (WDB 203) and for a while now experiences an intermittent loss of power. When it happens the car wont rev above 2500 rpm or exceed 65 mph. Usually by re-starting the engine the problem goes away but I feel that it's continually down on power even when running normally.

The MB garage put it on the computer a number of times but nothing showed up. On the last occasion low boost pressure was detected and they changed a boost pressure sensor but the problem remains.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem as it's quite frustrating.

Regards,

Brian_m

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This should just be the MAF unplug it and try the car they sometimes go better without it

jamesleigh

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi clk320 cab vito 115 sprinter 315 cdi b180cdi a150cdi
may have split intercooler hose or intercooler leaks or transducor vacume lines split broken but first fit oe air mass sensor £55 and make sure air fuel filters are clean before u go down expensive routes ie blocked catalists www.jamesleighservices.com thanx

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
may have split intercooler hose or intercooler leaks or transducor vacume lines split broken but first fit oe air mass sensor £55 and make sure air fuel filters are clean before u go down expensive routes ie blocked catalists www.jamesleighservices.com thanx

The link does not work in your signature

OP
B

Brian_M

Reaction score
Thanks Malcom & James for your replies.

I should have said that the air flow meter had been changed.
Also apparently no problem with the hoses.
Today I notice performance worse and boost power didn't return after re-starting.

Any other ideas welcome. There was mention of the catalytic convertor. What might the issue be there ?

Regards,

Brian_m

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
still worth unplugging the MAF to see,, the CAT may be blocked but hard to see how a restart would clear it

OP
B

Brian_M

Reaction score
Malcolm,

Disconnected the air flow meter. No change. Will have to bring it back to garage. Maybe if the problem persists rather than going away it might be easier to find.

Regards,

Brain_m

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208

James, the domain you link to has not been registered, your domain is a .co.uk :)

OP
B

Brian_M

Reaction score
Hi All,

The MB software diagnosed low boost charge. Boost sensor has been replaced and there are no apparent leaks in hoses or intercooler. Can't find problem however. Has anyone come across this problem ?. Electrics maybe.

Regards,

Brian_m

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Wastegate transducer going south?

OP
B

Brian_M

Reaction score
Richard,

Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean some sort of valve on the manifold ?
If so it was cheched and is ok.

Regards,

Brian _m

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you follow the small vacuum pipe from the turbo to under the water resovoir on the OS wing there is a small lump with a wire and a filter attached. These can fail leading to the turbo wastegate opening or not incorrectly.

There is a similar setup on the manifold that opens the EGR valve.

OP
B

Brian_M

Reaction score
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. That device was changed about 6 months ago. I see a similar device on the other side of the engine. I wonder if that is part of the boost system as well ?

Regards,

Brian _m

nelly1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e 280 avantgarde
you could try lubricating the actuator arm on the turbo make sure it moves freely check vacuum pipes from boost control to actuator
if no change it could be boost control valve

worth mentioning never had or worked on a cdi engine but this worked on my 5 cyl alfa jtd engine

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. That device was changed about 6 months ago. I see a similar device on the other side of the engine. I wonder if that is part of the boost system as well ?

Regards,

Brian _m

The other one controls the EGR valve.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom