Power Steering Fluid, ML270, W163

speedtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2004 270 CDI
I hope someone can shed some light on this subject as during my searches of Power Steering Fluid, for a ML270, W163, I have found conflicting and varied approaches to the subject.

In the Mercedes-Benz Owners Handbook it refers the owner to the Mercedes Dealer, who then requires the VIN to identify the fluid required as there are 2 possible types. The second is the use of generic ATF and the third Dextron III, or II at a push.

Does anyone have an informed view?

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
When I needed some power steering fluid for my ml I went to my local MB dealer and they supplied me with a litre bottle of the correct stuff based on the chassis number.

I, personally, wouldnt put any other type of fluid in the system in case it conflicts with the seals in the steering pump or rack.

ps..... I didnt know the w163 ml270cdi was around in 1994.... :)

Car: ML 1994 270 CDI

Last edited:
OP
speedtriple

speedtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 2004 270 CDI
Hee Hee. Thanks for pointing out my error panason1c, must have had a bit of a time slip. Will have to change that.

As for the fluid, I had more or less decided to go to the dealer. Better safe than sorry. I was just curious.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom