Power steering problem, headlights dim after start

bob sleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160CDi/2005/Diesel
Hi all,
I have a problem with my A160 CDi, year 2005. It started about 2 months ago, when power steering got bit heavier. Not completely out of service, but evidently much heavier than it used to be. It usually happens after cold start and gets better when driving. For info, the car has electric power steering. Nevertheless it didn't bother me too much.
But now I realized, that headlights are dim for about 20 seconds after cold start. So I checked the battery and alternator voltage on the dashboard. Battery seems ok, it reads about 12.4V every time I check. Now, after I start cold engine the voltage drops and varies between about 11.8V and 13V. This is when headlights are dim. After driving a while everything gets back to normal. Voltage is pretty stable 14.2-14.3V, which could indicate alternator charges properly.
However even with warm engine, few times happened when I was waiting in the traffic that rpm at idle were slightly unstable. This is quite occasional so I am not sure if it's worth to mention.

Before I go to dealer, anyone can give me a hint what may be the cause of the problem?

thanks

Peter

OP
B

bob sleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160CDi/2005/Diesel
hi all,
i have some update info. They checked it in mercedes service and said the lower steering shaft is faulty and needs to be replaced. This is the cause of heavier steering and also dim headlights, as battery has to provide extra energy :confused:.
Replacing lower steering shaft will cost about 600 eur. But they said it's somehow stuck together with steering rack, and to avoid the damage of sensitive electronics they cannot hammer it too strong.
So in that case whole assembly with steering rack needs to be replaced which will cost about 2800 eur :shock:.

I'm posting it just to share with you guys to compare services in France and UK. Any remarks would be highly appreciated.

cheers,

Peter

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom