Power steering problem on 2003 CLK 3.2L

zena123

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 3.2L, late 2003 model
Mercedes CLK 3.2L, late 2003 model. Problem is that although power steering is available, it's particularly difficult to turn the steering wheel at low speeds: whereas it should be possible to turn the steering wheel with my little finger at low speeds. My local indi changed the solenoid on the steering rack, but this made no difference. They suggest the problem may be caused by failing sensors and suggest I take the car to a garage to have a Mercedes diagnostics test run, to identify whether the sensors are working or not. I’ve already thrown a fair amount of money at this problem and am not convinced that a diagnostic test will help a lot. Has anyone else had experience of this and managed to solve the problem ? If so, how ?? Any guidance gratefully received !

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Have you owned the car a while and this problem has suddenly started? I wouldn't personally say that you can turn these lock to lock with one finger. They are a little heavier than that even when working correctly. If the solenoid has been replaced and was faulty you may need to have the fault codes cleared. They will be found in the ABS module, weirdly.
Failing that the PAS pump may be getting weak. These can eventually fail, but they don't sound loud or noisy even when they are completely worn out.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I know a bit of a curve ball but have you checked the Steering Damper?
These can get really stiff to the point of seizing in extreme circumstances - of course also the reverse being totally slack. But if really stiff it can make the steering very stiff at low speeds.

Loosen one end and see how it moves. Should move freely but with normal shock absorber resistance.
Of course if it is totally opposite it would be worth changing it anyway.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I know a bit of a curve ball but have you checked the Steering Damper?
These can get really stiff to the point of seizing in extreme circumstances - of course also the reverse being totally slack. But if really stiff it can make the steering very stiff at low speeds.

Loosen one end and see how it moves. Should move freely but with normal shock absorber resistance.
Of course if it is totally opposite it would be worth changing it anyway.

It's a valid point and a good idea, but this car will be a 209, and they don't have a damper.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom