press car? / brake judder?

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
Looking to get back into an E63. Drove one from the merc dealers - 1 yr old 3500 miles. KY67 AGO

lovely car but on the test drive it has brake judder. They have said they will sort it. I have asked for the new discs/pads. They havnt confirmed they will but have ordered new discs in case. Im hoping to collect next week and said unless new discs I would not be comfortable with it.

I suspect it may have been a press car and the brakes over heated/not beded in sensibly for the first 1000 miles.

Had lots of high performance cars from new and always first 1000 miles was gentle and never had issues with brakes later. Have had warped discs on older cars so pretty sure they are warped. Not sure if a pad build up but tried to burn off on the drive but made the judder more pronounced. Passenger could feel the floor of the car juddering. Wheel balance felt fine. rest of car fine. disc had a slight blue tinge to one (overheated?)

Ive checked on google for the number plate but nothing comes up. Wanted to ask if anyone knew of this car? and if my thoughts on the judder are sensible.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A good inspection and long test drive again before handing over any money on collection day

OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
yes I would think too.

Just a little miffed that the dealer hasn't picked up on this before now ie when they took in the car or had other test drives (although the sales guy was too young to drive it so I did) but I don't know how many other test drives it has had just surprised it was not picked up as an approved used merc.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
This is pretty much all that the DVLC hold on that vehicle at present :)

Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make:MERCEDES-BENZ
  • Date of first registration:September 2017
  • Year of manufacture:2017
  • Cylinder capacity (cc):3982 cc
  • CO₂Emissions:207 g/km
  • Fuel type:pETROL
  • Euro Status:Not available
  • Export marker:No
  • Vehicle status:Not taxed
  • Additional Rate applicable until:31 May 2023
  • Vehicle colour:GREY
  • Vehicle type approval:M1
  • Wheelplan:2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight:2525kg
  • Tax rates:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I suspect it may have been a press car and the brakes over heated/not beded in sensibly for the first 1000 miles.

I'd have expected more miles on a press car. There's a school of thought that there's no such thing as warped discs, judder being caused by pad deposits when the brakes are held on after a hard stop. A few hard braking applications, without actually stopping, should clear that. I'd be concerned about a disc that looked blue though. What are they tyres like? A hard driven E63 will eat rear tyres.

If the car has been sitting around for a while the discs may be rusty - they particulalrly seem to go on the rear face for some reason.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don’t suppose it was one of the AMG Exoerience cars at Mercedes World Brooklands? I drove one for an hour several years ago and they get hammered but don’t do many miles. Lots of braking and accelerating. The “tutor” I had said they have to change tyres weekly if they’ve been using themselves for demonstration runs but they last a little longer with ordinarily punters like me driving!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The Mercedes Benz approved inspector is often the first customer.
See if the cars tyres are the original as the wannabe Jezza Clarksons would have made significant inroads into the original tyres if it had been a hacks car.

OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
thank you for the replies. I didn't check the tyres but from the pics I took I can see they are the MPS4 s tyres. don't know the depth but had assumed it would be consummate with 3500 miles

Yes re- the brake deposits hence why I tried some firm braking on the test run but appeared to make it worse. The discs were not rusty or corroded or certainly didn't look it to me but yes you are right if its the inside face I would not see it. More of a vibration feel that ive had with warped discs before rather than a grind/scrape feel of rust and the later set of braking to try to burn off pad deposits or rust didn't help hence why im leaning towards warping/overheating then deposits or rust.

Brooklands question - not sure- the car was in Salisbury.

anyway hopefully they will have the tech report on the issue tomorrow and will agree to change over the discs.

was going to buy unseen - pleased I didn't. pity the approved used scheme didn't pick this up before letting a punter drive it.

Last edited:

dabsline

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 250d
I dont have a E63 but I was plagued by brake judder on my 2016 C 250 and on 18k it had its 4th set of discs since new [under warranty]then at 24k it was back in Mercedes for over 2 weeks including techs from head office involved it ended up with new hubs [original problem in my mind]discs pads suspension parts [in case worn by constant shuddering] and alloy that seemed to be warped by the hubs.Now at long last seems ok

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
thank you for the replies. I didn't check the tyres but from the pics I took I can see they are the MPS4 s tyres. don't know the depth but had assumed it would be consummate with 3500 miles

Yes re- the brake deposits hence why I tried some firm braking on the test run but appeared to make it worse. The discs were not rusty or corroded or certainly didn't look it to me but yes you are right if its the inside face I would not see it. More of a vibration feel that ive had with warped discs before rather than a grind/scrape feel of rust and the later set of braking to try to burn off pad deposits or rust didn't help hence why im leaning towards warping/overheating then deposits or rust.

Brooklands question - not sure- the car was in Salisbury.

anyway hopefully they will have the tech report on the issue tomorrow and will agree to change over the discs.

was going to buy unseen - pleased I didn't. pity the approved used scheme didn't pick this up before letting a punter drive it.

There are other replies on your other post in the AMG section.

Why not pick up the dog and speak to the dealer than hypothesise on the internet?

Sandown Salisbury are a good dealer, Matt Gateley is yer man.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Remember that the tyre wall has a date on it , its 4 numbers in a rectangle with the week and year displayed , eg 4216 is 42 week of 2016 .
This may help to judge if the tyres have been replaced at such a low mileage

OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
Remember that the tyre wall has a date on it , its 4 numbers in a rectangle with the week and year displayed , eg 4216 is 42 week of 2016 .
This may help to judge if the tyres have been replaced at such a low mileage

Thank you -

the car is a 2 hr drive each way for me so I cant double check at present. The next time to see it will be collection. So relying on them to get it how it should be.

Last edited:
OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
Had a further update. Yes engineers confirmed there is a judder after test drive, had it up on ramp today and also confirmed it is the discs not the pads - and started to say they are contacting Mercedes to see if its covered under warranty? !

eh?

They didn't say exactly what was wrong with the discs but if they are looking to claim on a warranty and getting MB guidance then I would guess its new discs.

Getting a bit fed up if the correct action is new discs and pads then I don't care who funds it. The car should not be sold in that condition for a punter to pick up on a test drive and then argue who is going to pay when I don't even own it yet.

Be super good for them just to confirm yes new discs and pads needed, yes we are doing it come pick up your lovely new car next week.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Some of these dealers are beyond belief. As you say, you don’t care who pays for it or whether it’s under warranty or not. That’s not your problem! Personally, I would be inclined to walk away and look for another one but that is easy for me to say as I’ve not got my heart set on it!

OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
The dealers have been ok so far - just need them to finish the deal correctly and im a happy bunny.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
If it's like this now with dealer service / backup, what's it going to be like if you actually purchase the car ? I think I'd walk but as someone said earlier, it's not me who's got their heart set on the car.

OP
S

Superlightr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
amg
Update. Good news. New front discs and pads are being put on. Collect next weekend.
So happy with that.
The car will be serviced near to where I live as Salisbury is a 2hr drive each way. But I'm happy with the dealer they said it would be sorted and is even IF it took some gentle prodding to make me feel comfortable and happy to go ahead.

Anyway now looking forward to getting back into an e63 and will post pics when in my hot n sticky hands.

appreciate the help and views from here. Thank you.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Alls well that ends well :) Enjoy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom