Pressed metal number plates.

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
Hello

What is the deal with these new UK road legal number plates being advertised online?

I am sure I'm not alone in thinking they look great, but with quite a few options to choose from, what should I look out for to make sure they are actually legal for use on the road.

Many thanks.

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
Re plates

hi Just got my set pressed steel alloy german spec nice plates cant see any changes from uk other than the number 0 which has a break in the 0 at ten past the hour mark ,only £18 a pair ish on e bay ,they look a lot better than plastic but still not sure uk legal ,still will fit them and see if any one ,see`s the difference ,well worth it as far as I can tell :p

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
hi Just got my set pressed steel alloy german spec nice plates cant see any changes from uk other than the number 0 which has a break in the 0 at ten past the hour mark ,only £18 a pair ish on e bay ,they look a lot better than plastic but still not sure uk legal ,still will fit them and see if any one ,see`s the difference ,well worth it as far as I can tell :p

Pretty sure this means they are not road legal and will fail the MOT test.

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Plates

So there must be a MOT tester in the Forum who knows ,if so advice needed ,Cheers

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re plates

Hi I think these look better than mine well worth fitting as far as I can see

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As long as the letters are of legal hight and spaced, and the backing is reflective, they are legal

Don't they also have to display the makers details?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Now I certainly like those..
Way better than the placcy crap that's the standard.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I buy my plates from here

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/?gclid=COaIgNKdmbgCFXMPtAodk1MAcg

Excellent good quality plastic. They are based in Eire and so not restricted to complying with UK law.

I have chosen to use plates with the correct font and the correct spacing but not necessarily where DVLA would want the spacing.......I have also chosen not to have the post code stuff......I like my plates to be as simple and as unfettered as possible and central with none of the EU badging. My GB plate is separate.

The first wash of the SL's refurbished and treated wheels 012.jpg Gratuitous garage Shots 002.jpg

Mic

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Pressed metal are not legal on modern cars in uk i think you will find,
only pre 1969 correct me if the year

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
Pressed metal are not legal on modern cars in uk i think you will find,
only pre 1969 correct me if the year
I had a Mk2 Fiesta, 1986 model, with pressed metal plates. They were the originals, fitted by the supplying dealer, and were still on the car when I sold it a couple of years ago. I believe they are legal on cars registered prior to 2001. (see info below)

Fiesta_pressed_metal_number_plates_2.jpg

Fiesta_pressed_metal_number_plates_1.jpg

Much more durable than these modern, plastic plates. If a metal one gets knocked, you just take it off, stand on it to straighten it, and put it back on. With the plastic ones, if they get knocked, they crack and the backing comes off and gets discoloured, so you have to spend money sorting it out.

There's a load of info on the 5ive-0 forum.

When the new registration format was introduced in 2001, regulations governing the construction and display of car number plates were revised. These revised regulations apply to the number plates on any and all vehicles registered on or after 1st September 2001. They also apply to all replacement plates made and mounted on vehicles on or after the same date..........

http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/showthr...are-they-legal&p=346278&viewfull=1#post346278

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Just had a read on the gov.uk site regarding number plates, all it says is that they must be the corrct colour, size, spacing and be reflective

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

It actually states "retro-reflective". I have no idea what that actually means, or if its meaning differs from 'reflective'. Nor do they elaborate.

If 'retro-reflective' can only be achieved with plastic, then that would answer the question.

The website and literature are the usual mix of fact and deliberate non-information, guaranteed to keep everyone guessing. :rolleyes:

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
I'm staggered to find anyone actually gives a **** & finds number plates to be a fashion statement or a way of expressing themselves.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
all you get in spain is pressed alloy plates no plastic plates here

Beg to differ. Here in Murcia, the all-new PLASTIC reflective plates are the ones to buy (I recently had them fitted by the local Mercedes Dealer).

Also, unlike the pressed tin ones, the Euro 'E' doesn't fade in the sun - thereby saving you a 30€ on-the-spot fine :p

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom