Pressure washer?

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK W209 270 cdi
So, I didnt really ever clean my old focus, but now I have the nice CLK I feel compelled to keep it shiny. Is there any issue with using a pressure washer to wash it off, or is this a big no no?

I was cleaning it yesterday with the pressure washer and my neighbour was saying it was a bad idea....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is a bad idea,,cars are not designed to have powerful jets of water sprayed on the sides. Also the dirt on the sides needs agitating or it does not come off with water alone,it need wiping or brushing.

They are fine for the wheels and make an excellent job of those

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I always power wash my mercedes all 5 of em. I dont get to close as stone chips can get bigger!!!

jib

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
As Malcolm says,a pressure washer will force water and dirt into places where they should not be.They are pretty good at lifting paint too,an expensive way to find out if your car has been resprayed anywhere.

Even with chemical cleaners,a pressure washer will not fully remove road grime,as I am only too well aware,having last week cleaned my fridge trailer with a brush,two sides @ 45'x8'6'' ,front and back @ 8'6''x8'2''.
Donkey work:(
At least it's now white again,not grey.

In my humble opinion,it's hard to beat using a sponge and water with a little shower gel in it which helps to stop streaking,we have hard water here.
Dried with a genuine chamois leather,the paint will be truly clean.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
A powerwasher machine is fine for a pre-wash rinse to remove the worst of the dirt, also ideal for rinsing after washing. Just ensure that you keep the lance well away from the vehicle when you are using it or as it has been said before you could remove paint....

The prefered method of washing for the Pros' is the two bucket method

OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK W209 270 cdi
I should have said, this was only after I washed it with one of those fancy soft brush things and some turtle wax stuff. The pressure washer was to remove the soap suds really, and only used at a distance. I'll use the hose next time instead, as that seems safer!

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Use it by all means, but do it from a safe distance of a few feet,,they are very good on wheels and wheel arches,,i wash mine mainly by hand but use one say every few weeks on the wheels and arches, and then to rinse off. With a washer of 110 bar you can take the paint off with the nozzle to close to the car

LYNALL

Reaction score
I remember brother in law taking a huge chunk of lacquer of the rear 1/4 panel on his renault a few years ago he was not amused this was when everyone thought they were the miracle cleaner.

In my humble opinion an a car they are just not needed, by the time you get them out and set them up plug in etc you can have the car half washed with a bucket and sponge.

Only time my car saw a the pressure washer was to get some green growth out of the window channels.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only time my car saw a the pressure washer was to get some green growth out of the window channels.

Lynall

you can use simple vinegar to do this,,it needs to be around 5% proof or more, just paint it on with a paint brush and the moss will all run off,, you can do the same with lamp lenses. It will not hurt the paint and it is nature friendly

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
ALL fuel stations here, have power washers. I don't see any vehicles with damaged paintwork as a result. Although I agree that they don't remove all the grime and that a sponge and chammy is needed for the best results.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ALL fuel stations here, have power washers. I don't see any vehicles with damaged paintwork as a result. Although I agree that they don't remove all the grime and that a sponge and chammy is needed for the best results.

You can charge plenty for a power wash,, you cant charge as much for a tap,,and Power wash does sound much better

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
I wash my company car with a pressure washer at work, but i'd never take it to my Benz.
I think a pressure washer is a little too agressive really. I find hand washing gives you a good opportunity to get a look at all the bodywork as you go round. You'll spot chips or little bubbles much easier than with goggles on, trying to hold down bucking spray gun!

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ALL fuel stations here, have power washers. I don't see any vehicles with damaged paintwork as a result.

The pressure of fuel station powerwash machines are drastically lower than the machine you would have at home

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
I use 2 buckets and a normal free flowing hose. First bucket is for the lower section and wheels and the second bucket fir the upper section. Finish with a leather and last flick over with a micro cloth.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The pressure of fuel station powerwash machines are drastically lower than the machine you would have at home

Good point and that would explain a lot :D

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've stopped using a chamios to dry the cars. I use a leaf blower to remove most of the water and then a micro-fibre towel to dry it off.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
A pressuer washer is a great tool, in the hands of an experience user ....... however !! .......... you can cause untold damage, if you don't know what your doing ....... as mentioned above......... you can lift paint, make stonechips bigger, and force water into cavities.

I have used one for years without issue ... Mines fixed to the garage wall, with 15metres of hose to the lance ...... Most models come with around 6 metres of hose ........ not enough, for fast efficient cleaning.

You still need to agitate the muck off with a brush/Mitt/Sponge, of your choice, and then rinse off after

Work downwards from the roof, and dont get too close ......learn by standing off the car, and you'll be fine.

They are great, for an overall clean .......... they are not however, a substitute for elbow grease !!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom