Previous generation SL500, where is the battery located?

kazino21

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a previous generation SL500 which his father left him. The battery has died due to lack of use but he is unable to locate the battery. Only had a couple of minutes to look at it but assumed it would be in the boot, wasn't able to locate it though so checked the rear deck but couldn't find anything either.
He doesn't have the owners manual so can't look it up. Could anybody shine some light on it please?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
If you mean be previous generation you mean the R129 series, the battery is in the boot behind a panel on the driver's side. If you put your head in the boot and look upwards as if looking towards the fuel filler you will see a round toggle. Unscrew this to remove the panel and the battery is behind and below.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
A friend of mine has a previous generation SL500 which his father left him. The battery has died due to lack of use but he is unable to locate the battery. Only had a couple of minutes to look at it but assumed it would be in the boot, wasn't able to locate it though so checked the rear deck but couldn't find anything either.
He doesn't have the owners manual so can't look it up. Could anybody shine some light on it please?

I have had my battery die on 2 occasions due to lack of use on a similar car. Jump started first time each time, and charged it by taking it for a run (which the rest of the car enjoyed too). With any luck you should not need a new battery - I didn't.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom