problem with condensation on the inside of windscreen.

poolshark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 220 CDI
On cold mornings, my c220cdi takes about 5 minutes to demist the water droplets that gather on the interior of my windscreen.
This never happened before in 3 years of driving it, but lately it is happening a lot and I am wondering what is causing it ?.
Is it just the extreme cold of late or could it be caused by some other factor.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Possibly blocked water drains and blocked (and damp) cabin filter.

offroader

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M-Class/2000/V8,4300cc
Condensation Inside Windscreen

I have an M Class 10 years old and had the same problem last winter. I also had a whistle from the top of the windsceen. I concluded that water was seeping in through the seal at the top of the screen and that it had expanded when it froze and opened up a gap. I didn't want to go to the trouble of having the windscreen re-sealed or changed so I cleaned out the channel at the top of the windscreen with a bit of plastic, a brush and water when I washed the car. The problem went away though it is still inclined to be damp on the inside of the screen if I leave the car out overnight.

I think a re-sealing of the windscreen is the answer but it will need to be removed and if it breaks you will need a new one. I don't know if the windscreen insurance will cover this.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Notice my A Class -2010 model - is taking longer to clear over the past week. Put it down to combination of weather conditions.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Check for any damp. Ensure your filters are fairly clear and that you run with your aircon switched on at all times. Also ensure all windows are clean. My screen is taking longer to clear recently and its been a good few weeks since I cleaned them on the inside. Thats no co-incidence. I'm also having to use the rear demister which is always an indication that I'm overdue with the windowlene.

crockers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc now sold - XC60 D5 arrived
Possibly blocked water drains and blocked (and damp) cabin filter.

Where are the water drains on a W203 that could cause this as I pressure washed mine yesterday and have been having this same problem..

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Where are the water drains on a W203 that could cause this as I pressure washed mine yesterday and have been having this same problem..

I washed mine yesterday and had a huge amount of condensation in the car. I think it was just the effect of cold water on the windows condensing the moisture in the (relatively) warm air in the car.

The main drains are each side of the windscreen, draining onto the cover of the filter on the nearside and the SAM cover on the offside. There is a central drain also down behind the engine. It's usually the side drain that accumulate leaves and misc muck.

Last edited:

kemp2368

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202/1995
On cold mornings, my c220cdi takes about 5 minutes to demist the water droplets that gather on the interior of my windscreen.
This never happened before in 3 years of driving it, but lately it is happening a lot and I am wondering what is causing it ?.
Is it just the extreme cold of late or could it be caused by some other factor.

hi all wonder if anyone could help with this little problem i have never seen any puddle underneath car when air con has been on,i get condensation on the inside of car,the foot wells are dry,
i also get alot of water trapped at the bottom of rear doors and sills after its been raining,i open up the rear doors and a load of water drops to the floor
any help would be really gratefull

Last edited:

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
hi all wonder if anyone could help with this little problem i have never seen any puddle underneath car when air con has been on,i get condensation on the inside of car,the foot wells are dry,
i also get alot of water trapped at the bottom of rear doors and sills after its been raining,i open up the rear doors and a load of water drops to the floor
any help would be really gratefull

I can help with the door problem. My old 190E used to do this, so I carefully cut a few drainage holes in the door rubber at both lower corners and in the middle - this prevented any build up of water above the seal, although I never really worked out how it got there in the first place.

OP
P

poolshark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 220 CDI
many thanks for the advice.
i will check the filter and give the windscreen a well overdue clean.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Depends also how much your car was used during the snowy weather, especially with carpet mats, these can be damp from the melted snow (feet) and cause the interior condensation..

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom