Problems after implementing LPG System

BeniHill

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have Mercedes C200 Elegance manufactured 1995 yr. When I bought it it had mono point LPG system. With this system every thing was fine, but it has one problem when you change from high gear to low i has detonations (which as I was explained it was normal for that type of system). Once when happen detonation, I guess that MAF sensor was destroyed. After that lights on mirror started blinking during locking and unlocking the car (which happens when ECU goes in safe mode, as I find out on this forums).Anyway, after that car still was OK and it drives fine on LPG and Petrol.
Recently in order to put better LPG system (a sequential system that has separate injectors for each cylinder) LOVATO, I got very bad problem, after 40km my car started working very bad, as I felt there was unequal fuel on each cylinder, I transfer it to work on petrol but it was worse (it works just on two cylinders). I went back in garage where they put LAND RENZO LPG system, but there were same problems.
After that we decided to put back old system and to see if it something wrong with ECU, but when we put it car was like before putting new LPG system (wroks fine on pertol and LPG), this was very strange for me. Then mechanics decided to try once again with LOVATO system, but there were again same problems. It was explined to me that LOVATO computer can't work with Mercedes's ECU and that can't follow injection maps which has Mercedes ECU. So we put it back old LPG system again, but now my car work fine on LPG, but on petrol it work bad. I changed MAF sensor and I restarted ECU, but without success.
Can someone suggest what can I check by myself without going into garage?

Regards.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The problem you have is that you have changed so many components something may have broken. Since the LPG system works fine I would suspect some of the units involved in switching from LPG fuel back to petrol. Other possibilities are degraded petrol- is it quite old fuel ? Or the spark plugs are gummed up- LPG may be easier to ignite than petrol? First thing I would do is check the spark plugs.

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
LPG may be easier to ignite than petrol? First thing I would do is check the spark plugs.

Definately not the case, you need better ignition for LPG than petrol.

I agree that stale petrol may be part of the problem, modern unleaded goes off quite quickly if not used.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom