problems, problems, problems ....

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
My car is 4 /1/2 now, and after 3 1/2 years of owning this particular merc I guess I should have expected it, but

Yesterday afternoon I left the office in searing 30 degree heat and walked back to the car. When I pressed the remote the buttons popped up and I opened the doors and sat back on the supportive seats, closing them behind me with a clunk.
I climbed in and put the key into the EIS, and the wheel and seat purred to their pre-selected positions. Turning the key to start, the 5 cyylinder diesel instantly jumped into life with the first flick, settling down into a smooth rumble.

I slid the lever into D, which again engaged instantly, and without any fuss or problem drove out of the car park. Ok so far. Over the next 50 miles of high speed motorway and crawling jam, there was no hesitation, no judder, no transmission slip, just instant throttle response, plenty of power, and always nice. smooth and quiet. No rattle, no whistling from badly fitting mirrors or door handles, just easy and quiet. She cruised at 80, with the cruise control accuratly maintaining on request, and when asked on the odd occasion instantly responded with the needle rapidly sweeping up the dial. When I approached, traffic moved out of may way, as they always seem to do when presented with a 3 pointed star in the rear view mirror. The SBC brakes worked perfectly and, despite never having been refilled or meddled with, the aircon continued to blast out more freezing cold air than I could cope with. When I arrived home, I glanced at the computer which, reported 41mpg. I got out and looked back to see a gleaming, if a little dirty, rust free straight motor, designed to perfection.

The forum is full of issues, problems and complaints - after all, thats really why it's here, but it also gives the wrong impression to visitors. For the most part though, the above is what Mercedes ownership is really about. Hopefully the above will slightly redress the balance.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
wow, I was reading this expecting something bad at the end, your so right, we do only post the negative side of things, and thanks for the ride in your car :)

GRAHAME2001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K CAB, GOLF GTI CAB, PUG 206, FREELANDER
relaxed........confident.....cool.........proud......domineering.....safe.........

its nice to own a merc!!!!!!!!!!!

nice one

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could not this appear a little offset by the number of post that have come in during the last few weeks has tripled, with many new members, many have just bought an MB and they have little things to sought out, but in every case the owners love their cars, certainly on the post that I have answered

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Just a "Normal" day for the majority of mercedes owners--Try that same trip in any S class its even better ?

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
I have the same feeling everytime I get in mine.
I have had the great pleasure of driving Mercs for over 20 years, all trouble free and still give me that great feeling everytime I get behind the wheel.
To fully appriciate a Mercedes you have to drive one, then you know what the 3 pointed star is all about.
Happy motoring to you all.

Mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would love to go for a drive today, but it looks as though it is going to rain hard :(, so something to look forwards to in the morning:D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
days like that make any little niggles peole have with older cars (like mine) realise its all worthwhile really!

O

oldmovieguy

Good positive post, the marque that is without any problems has yet to be announced but I guess if you polled NON MB owners they would say that the MB badge stood for quality rather that negative issues and it goes without saying that MB owners that I have spoken to in the main praise the badge. Of course, if you have problems, you are going to shout about from the roof tops, and why not, but if your MB is trouble free, you are just going to drive around with a cheesy grin on your face, and why not.
MB Corporate have arranged an extended test drive over a long weekend with a new E Class in a few weeks so I'll come back and give you my thoughts

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was worried when I saw the thread title but felt better after I read it. I've read so many threads recently and half expect my V6 engine or 7G gearbox to fail at any minute or at least have a serious issue costing thousands to repair. Yes I had a glow plug fail (No.3) last week, the dealer took it in fixed in under warranty and gave me a quote for 2 new tyres that is cheaper than the tyre dealer I used to use in South Wales that couldn't be beaten anywhere previously (Blackcircles included) (£239.52 for 2 x Goodyear NCT 5 MO Spec 245x17x45)

I do keep having a problem with my E320CDI in that I want to over ride the cruise control and give it it's head, setting the cruise at 76 is good for the licence and fuel economy but not much fun :-(

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I want to over ride the cruise control and give it it's head, setting the cruise at 76 is good for the licence and fuel economy but not much fun :-(

You want to take a trip to Germany. It is worth it to be able to use the Merc in the manner for which they were designed. Perhaps a track day could a poor 2nd substitute.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Simply routine

In my last job I was being harangued by a variety of non MB drivers in the restaurant over lunch.

So, they said, tell us about this "E Class".

I summarized for their benefit as follows;
  • it does all things well, and most things superbly
  • it is an excellent car
  • all cars should be that good
  • everybody should have one.
They went off muttering and scratching their heads.

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
My Dad (on his 6th Merc) says, back in the 80's his brother would rib him over why he drove a merc when the Granada 2.8 ghia's he always ran were so much better equipped, faster and so much cheaper.
His brother runs an E320cdi now. Says he wished he'd realised sooner. His son runs a CLK......:)

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Corroboration

When I arrived home, I glanced at the computer which, reported 41mpg. I got out and looked back to see a gleaming, if a little dirty, rust free straight motor, designed to perfection.

Just to confirm, drove back home in the S Class this morning after a few days in Bodmin. It did everything you said it would in the OP, but at 42 mpg.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As there was no rain,,I did go out,top down, aircon on, wasted about £30 on petrol, with the ABC suspension the 230 just glides along, visited 3 garden centers, bought a ready cooked meal from Tesco and back home,. the 230 is just magic, soon be 3 years that I have had that, and still as nice as the first day when I bought it, or should say slept in it

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom