Problems with spilt juice

silver e230 auto

Reaction score
Today when visiting md's 1 of the kids knocked over a plastic cup containing sprite,unfortunately most of it's contents ended up in the centre console.It almost all disapeared down the slot for the autobox.
I dried up what i could.However when we had finished our big macks,we set of.To my dismay it's stuck in 1st gear and wont change up.So I nursed her back home with hazards on,luckily only 2 miles from home.

Will this sort it's self out when it dries out or has this caused my pride and joy major trouble?Any suggestions please?

Yours in despair
colin.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
When soft drinks dry they usually leave a sticky residue behind. This most likely will coat the switch gear. Coke is worst as it tends to corrode, not sure about Sprite..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A good liberal sparaying with a quality switch cleaner should sort out your problem, you could also try blowing out the selector module with an airline or even a can of AIRDUSTER... both cleaner and airduster available from Maplins ..

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
I have seen many a electronic selector module destroyed by this unfortunately. Hope you can clean yours out successfully.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Today when visiting md's 1 of the kids knocked over a plastic cup containing sprite,unfortunately most of it's contents ended up in the centre console.It almost all disapeared down the slot for the autobox.
I dried up what i could.However when we had finished our big macks,we set of.To my dismay it's stuck in 1st gear and wont change up.So I nursed her back home with hazards on,luckily only 2 miles from home.

Will this sort it's self out when it dries out or has this caused my pride and joy major trouble?Any suggestions please?

Yours in despair
colin.

I once had the same problem when the kids (against my advice, would you believe?!), spilt a sprite type drink into a computer key board, with similar results.

I contemplated the various ways it might be remedied and they were all too expensive.

I solved it by pouring methylated spirit (I am sure any organic solvent would do) into the affected part, then putting it outside in the breeze to evaporate dry. Worked a treat!

Perhaps if you did have to resort to this, follow up with WD40 or PTFE would be a wise precaution?

We look forward to hearing how you "solve" it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The sugar will be the hardest problem, also the juice, these cannot be removed with spirit, as they come from a different family. The ECU will have to dismantled and washed in warm soapy water, dried and then treated.

I can do this for you if you get stuck

D

doversole

Hi Colin,

I agree with the other posts regarding your having a go with something like Meths, Isopropyl or switchcleaner.
What you might try is effectively 'washing out' the sprite with one of these to remove as much as you can.
Then use a hairdryer on the cool setting to attempt to evaporate what's left.

I have used this method to good effect on some electrical equipment in the past,
I managed to rescue a portable radio cassette player in this way some years ago.

Good luck, DoverSole

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its up to you,as I say you will not shift it with spirit,its got to be hot washed in water

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
Spilt juice

:cry:This has been discussed before. (In a cup holders thread) I TRUELY wish you luck with the problem. The outcome can be somewhat expensive. After weeks of trying to deal with the suggested simple solutions, I sucumbed to the Dealer's solution . . . and $620.00 later it was fixed. I apparently was not alone in my frustration:

One of the first post I ever did was where orange juice went down into the gear shift, it was not too bad and only £500 to fix. try and drink oil,, or something with no sugar in it, it does not do as much damage

It seems to be a relatively frequent happening among MB Owners. I prohibit ANY food or drink in my car . . as a result.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It seems to be a relatively frequent happening among MB Owners. I prohibit ANY food or drink in my car . . as a result.

I cant help feeling the the cup holder was placed in the center console for it to do as much damage as possible to the car in the event of a spill. All of the after market versions that used to be out there are fitted to the doors or seats

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Rather worrying prospect here for the sake of a cup holder, I think Ill remove mine to stop temptation to use it. Now, what can I stuff in my newly found storage space :)

Rinehart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 R129, 300SL Almandine Red, 102k
cup holders

Rather worrying prospect here for the sake of a cup holder, I think Ill remove mine to stop temptation to use it. Now, what can I stuff in my newly found storage space :)

As my old (German National) friend says; "Cars are meant to be driven, not as cafeterias".

OP
S

silver e230 auto

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the advice.I went for the simple option yesterday.The wife's hairdrier on a cool setting for 15-20 mins.Went for a test drive and yip it was fine.So no meths or anything else needed.Lucky me !!!and fingers crossed I hope thats it fixed.
thanks again for all advice.
colin.

OP
S

silver e230 auto

Reaction score
:cry:This has been discussed before. (In a cup holders thread) I TRUELY wish you luck with the problem. The outcome can be somewhat expensive. After weeks of trying to deal with the suggested simple solutions, I sucumbed to the Dealer's solution . . . and $620.00 later it was fixed. I apparently was not alone in my frustration:

One of the first post I ever did was where orange juice went down into the gear shift, it was not too bad and only £500 to fix. try and drink oil,, or something with no sugar in it, it does not do as much damage

I tried oil earlier but i'm more of a milkshake man myself.Kids who would have them!!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom