Project CLK55 AMG

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Hi everyone, my name is Sasha and I'm 22 from Bangor in sunny North Wales. Not sure which section to put this in but this is my recently acquired CLK55 AMG which is my second car and project. My daily is a 12 Volvo V50 DRIVe as I have a 140 mile daily commute!!

The first thing I've done has been sorting out some proper key rings because that's always important, starting with this one which was bought on holiday in Paris years ago by a family member who had a Mercedes at the time and not something you can usually get unless you go there so I'm very happy to receive this as a gift

And then this one for the spare key

Nearly forgot the engine!

This car, as ever for one of my cars, needs a few things doing.

So the faults so far include

Drivers heated seat not working
Armrest trim broken
Drivers seat trim broken
Drivers electric seat sometimes doesn't come forward on the button but does on the memory function
Passenger electric headrest only goes up on the button but comes down on memory and when the seat is folded forward
The dash makes a loud clicking noise on ignition for 20 seconds which is a comman CLK issue relating to the HVAC system

Not a big list for a 14 year old Mercedes I think!!

Potential upgrades include
Sorting the questionable colour match round the rear arches
Refurbishing the wheels
Refurbishing the brakes
Getting the exhaust to be a bit more audible
Sorting the phone function out. As you can see the car has the factory Nokia 6310i phone on the dash but no phone. I am looking into a Viseeo Bluetooth adaptor but I'm not sure if the phone system even works so another option would be an android head unit as the cost will be the same for both
Otherwise general tidying and maintenance.

I've been loving the car since purchase. Have been averaging 22 MPG on its first full tank of Shell V Power and I've just ordered all the bits I need to service it including 16 NGK iridium spark plugs, 10 litres of Shell Helix fully synthetic oil, 2 Pipercross performance air filters, a genuine MB oil filter, crush washer, oil filter removal tool etc etc ready to give it the full treatment this coming weekend. Has been an expensive day lol, and the new dash cam to be fitted tomorrow!

Hopefully this will become a blog for the car and it's journey with me as it's maintained and improved as I do a lot of the mechanical jobs myself.

Thanks for looking everyone!!

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
It's always nice to have a car with a few jobs to do on it!
I've just fully serviced my c43amg.. engine oil/filter, gearbox oil/filter, air filters, spark plugs, new airmass new crank sensor.
Almost everything from Mercedes, their prices were spot on compared to other suppliers like gsf etc

You live in a nice place to drive an amg

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Thanks, yes it has been fun to explore some local roads which are frustrating in the Volvo but much more fun in this.

I also forgot to mention the stereo sometimes won't play sound and the CD Changer is now stropping and won't read the magazine. The single CD still works though so we're good there :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Sasha, quite different cars your daily driver and project!
Lovely example and I can see you are focused to improve it too. Plenty good advice on here and it will be great to follow your blog.
Just to pick up on your exhaust comment, do try Cybox here in Bromborough- not too far from you.
I previously had an SL500 which I got them to strip out the back boxes and fit some larger pipes, made a lovely V8 sound afterwards without any redesign of the body area, as the original tips were retained.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Well Sasha, you are no shrinking violet are you, good luck with your project and welcome to the forum :)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Very nice, I drove one just like that and it's rapid.
You say you want more sound from the exhaust, I found the CLK55 quiet too but no doubt it sounds awesome from outside the car.
The quiet hard push is actually very enjoyable but you can easily drive much faster than you realise as it gets there so quick and without shouting about it.

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Thanks all, yes the AMG and the daily donkey are quite different! I've had a run of Volvo's (the V50 between myself and my wife is our 5th!) but for comfy, economical long distance cruising and proper value for money they can't be beaten IMO.

The exhaust I want to be a little louder inside when gunning it maybe as it's true, it's so quiet at times it's hard to gauge how fast it is going in full on warp speed mode!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Had a number of Volvos too from the 'orrible 340GLE to the beautiful C70 T5 and in fact picking up a new XC90 on Wednesday....

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Welcome, lovely car the 209 and in AMG guise very nice indeed,

On the noise front you have torqueflow in Brimingham and as your there MSL can have a little play with the ECU and give it a few more ponies :D

Last edited:
OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
I've also had a C70 T5 haha, but an old shape one, mental thing it was. Then I had a 3.0 Audi A4 Cabriolet and now this as a second car/project. New XC90 is nice, very very nice!!

Also, nitpick point, I thought this was a W209 CLK?? I hope it is because that's what I've ordered bits for!!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Welcome, lovely car the 208 and in AMG guise very nice indeed,

On the noise front you have torqueflow in Brimingham and as your there MSL can have a little play with the ECU and give it a few more ponies :D

It is in fact a 209 shape CLK ;)

The seats most likely need a simple normalisation proceedure to get them working correctly again.

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
Thanks, what's a normalisation procedure?

Here's some Volvo pics just to show off the daily haha

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Welcome to the forum. CLK's are very nice cars and the AMG versions are even nicer. I bet the insurance stings a bit though for a 22 year old!

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
It was £1229 for the year! The Volvo works out at a not inconsiderable £52 per month as is so it was certainly cheaper than expected and with a Quidco discount it worked out even better :)

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Automatic normalisation is carried out with a Star machine, the Mercedes diagnostic tool, where the device will automatically set the extremes of the seat range. Sometimes this can be performed manually by holding the adjustment buttons at the extremes of movement for ten seconds before releasing and doing the same at the other extreme. For example, if the headrest will only move up, go to the fully up point, then continue to hold the switch up for ten seconds. When you release, with luck it should then work for down. If it won't take you may need to get it on the Star.

OP
Sasha94

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
I've had this Mercedes Star Gard clean bag for a long time and although I'm never going to use it it'll be a cool thing to keep in the car.

Full detail will be done by me shortly once the mechanical stuff has been done :)

Top Bottom