propshaft centre bearing advice please

S

steve--o

Hi All
ive just bought an iveco daily van and it shudders a lttle bit between 35 mph and 55 mph, and it has a rummbling noise after 55 mph it goes off and
drives quiter. (for an iveco :shock: )

before i dive in and change the prop centre bearing,is this the no1 culprit.

i know its not a merc but all avice welcome as parts are a shed load of money here and it could save me a load of brass by asking.
cheers
Steve in sunny Almeria :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just get under it and see if you can move the center of the prop up and down,, also jack the car a little to get one wheel off the ground, with parking brake off,turn the wheel hard in both directions and see if the center of the prop move up and down much,,also check the end spiders /coupling/ doughnuts

OP
S

steve--o

thanks Malcolm,ive changed the uj,s on the full prop.

the rubber is old on the centre bearing but thair is no exessive movment.
i just wonderd if it was the critical roatating speed thing with the prop ie a small amount of movment on the rubber ad the prop vibration at its critical speed and bosh ,vibration through the van.
the diff sounds ok,and when its jacked up,i carnt see any movment anywhere,so im a bit stuck for ideas.
cheers Steve :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK if an engine mount has collapsed, this will throw the drive train out of line, and could cause the problem

E300tdHighlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 300td estate.
Steve

I'm not sure of your back ground so hope this doesnt insult you!

If you seperated the sections of propshafts to replace the uj's it is important to set the prop up as it was otherwise it will be out of balance.

OP
S

steve--o

Steve

I'm not sure of your back ground so hope this doesnt insult you!

If you seperated the sections of propshafts to replace the uj's it is important to set the prop up as it was otherwise it will be out of balance.

i just removed the prop between the diff and the centre bearing,ie undid the 4 bolts and slid it off the splines.

i never removed the full job,but if ive missed somthing or thair is a set up procedure all advice welcome :) i farm olives now but once upon a time i was a mechi fitter,turner welder on Priestman cranes .(25 years ago :shock: )

will also check the engin mounts

i had a 310d sprinter in the uk ,this iveco is like driving a tractor compared to the sprinter :shock: :lol:

just a thought ,could out of balance back wheels cause the problem.

thanks for the help. Steve :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes with a bad rear wheel you could drive in and out of a shaking

Top Bottom