Prosecuted for having a mobile phone in my car!!!!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Hi all, have not posted in a long time but thought I would share this one with you all.

Picture the scene, just before lunchtime driving along minding my own business, I notice a police car coming up fast behind me, as he puts his blue lights on, I'm thinking he is about to pass me. Sadly, he wants me to pull over.

When he arrives at the window and asks if I know why he stopped me. I reply no. He says, you were using your mobile phone while driving. I reply, I have not used my mobile all day. He then says, you had your hand near your face and it looked as though you had an object in it. I agreed I may have inadvertantly put my hand near my face but I was not holding a phone or any other object.

He asks to see the phone which was sitting in a cubby hole at the front of the centre console and asks me to show him how to access the call logs. He checks these which confirm that no calls/texts have been made since the previous day and then says, you could have deleted them.

I'm invited in the back of his car as wants to explain a couple of things to me, incredibly, this is to offer me a fixed penalty notice or the option of going to court. I decline the fixed penalty as I again stressed I had not touched my phone at all. He then let me go and said you may or may not hear any more about it.

Well that was 3 weeks ago and now I have received the official letter advising me that the police report contains enough evidence to prosecute me if I do not accept the fixed penalty notice.

Naively thinking that the phone records will prove my innocence, I found that the phone companies are very reluctant to supply this information unless served a court order. In my case, the phone belongs to my employer and they have to try & get the records for me. Obviously the phone bill is no use as it only proves I never made a call, it does not prove that I never received any either.

So, go to court and face two mistaken policemen who are well rehearsed and have the same story? Asked a lawyer and he said about £800 for them to defend me, but I would almost certainly win. So next problem, the law changed a couple of years back and before if I won I could claim back all my expenses and prove my innocence without it costing me a penny. Since the law changed, I would now only get around half the money back.

If I accept the fixed penalty, the fine is £60 & 3 points, defend in court and lose and the fine is up to £1000 and 3 points. Defend in court with a lawyer and win, lose around £400, anyone else think there is a bit of a scam about all of this?

Russ

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Clearly another case of guilty till proven innocent.

And then fine for proving it.

parthiban

Reaction score
That's horrendous! Is this how they're making up for the loss of speed camera funding? I sometimes have my hand on my face, I'd be seriously pi$$ed off if I got a ticket for that!

Really don't know what to say, if it was me I wouldn't care about the cost I'd fight that till the end simply because it's so wrong to persecute an innocent person like that. I'd get the media involved and make a real circus about it - I cannot see how they'd win though unless they have photographic evidence of you holding your phone as it would be easy to prove (although admittedly not as easy as it should be) that you didn't make a call or send/receive a text.

I suppose you could always sue for damages afterwards if your case was successful to get all your costs back?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hi all, have not posted in a long time but thought I would share this one with you all.

Picture the scene, just before lunchtime driving along minding my own business, I notice a police car coming up fast behind me, as he puts his blue lights on, I'm thinking he is about to pass me. Sadly, he wants me to pull over.

When he arrives at the window and asks if I know why he stopped me. I reply no. He says, you were using your mobile phone while driving. I reply, I have not used my mobile all day. He then says, you had your hand near your face and it looked as though you had an object in it. I agreed I may have inadvertantly put my hand near my face but I was not holding a phone or any other object.

He asks to see the phone which was sitting in a cubby hole at the front of the centre console and asks me to show him how to access the call logs. He checks these which confirm that no calls/texts have been made since the previous day and then says, you could have deleted them.

I'm invited in the back of his car as wants to explain a couple of things to me, incredibly, this is to offer me a fixed penalty notice or the option of going to court. I decline the fixed penalty as I again stressed I had not touched my phone at all. He then let me go and said you may or may not hear any more about it.

Well that was 3 weeks ago and now I have received the official letter advising me that the police report contains enough evidence to prosecute me if I do not accept the fixed penalty notice.

Naively thinking that the phone records will prove my innocence, I found that the phone companies are very reluctant to supply this information unless served a court order. In my case, the phone belongs to my employer and they have to try & get the records for me. Obviously the phone bill is no use as it only proves I never made a call, it does not prove that I never received any either.

So, go to court and face two mistaken policemen who are well rehearsed and have the same story? Asked a lawyer and he said about £800 for them to defend me, but I would almost certainly win. So next problem, the law changed a couple of years back and before if I won I could claim back all my expenses and prove my innocence without it costing me a penny. Since the law changed, I would now only get around half the money back.

If I accept the fixed penalty, the fine is £60 & 3 points, defend in court and lose and the fine is up to £1000 and 3 points. Defend in court with a lawyer and win, lose around £400, anyone else think there is a bit of a scam about all of this?

Russ

Are you a pensioner having had the audacity to drive into Wales?

Mic

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mic
The police in that case were deifnitley behaving like thugs and should be held accountable for their excessive behaviour.

But the 'retired gentleman' shouldn't be driving if his excuses are to be believed.

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
That seriously sucks, the phone records will definitely exonerate you, perhaps there is a legal way for you to request the phone records.
is it possible that the lawyers can get the phone records and you pay them for that then represent yourself in court.
just an idea may cost you less.

whatever the case i would seriously consider arguing your side in court ,quite often magistrates and judges are able to see when police officers are fabricating a story.

do you qualify for legal aid?

Good luck

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Russ

It is indeed an ill divided world Russ. In a just situation, the penalty in court, if found guilty, should be identical to the summary fine which is "on offer" if you are a good boy and bend over.

Going to court is our constitutional right and is intended to prove the issue one way or another - not to exact a higher tariff.

Conversely, if the fine which would be applied in court is "discounted" for expediency just to settle matters promptly, then that sucks too.

The system is wide open to abuse, for what ever reason if, once the policeman decides to pursue the matter, you are doomed. That is not fair, it is not justice and it should not be the practice.

If we had completely honest, totally infallible policemen, however ........... :rolleyes:

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
Really don't know what to say, if it was me I wouldn't care about the cost I'd fight that till the end simply because it's so wrong to persecute an innocent person like that. I'd get the media involved and make a real circus about it

i agree with this ,fight it and call the SUN newspaper they go for stuff like this.

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mic

That was not me:lol:, but seriously, I've since heard of 6 identical cases the same as this in the last few weeks. Half of them were woman who either never had a phone on them or had it zipped up in their handback & were "let off", the men who did have a phone in the car have all been charged. I now put my phone in the boot, and if stopped again and asked for it, I'll gladly get out of the car and open the boot for him.

Russ

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That seriously sucks, the phone records will definitely exonerate you, perhaps there is a legal way for you to request the phone records.
is it possible that the lawyers can get the phone records and you pay them for that then represent yourself in court.
just an idea may cost you less.

whatever the case i would seriously consider arguing your side in court ,quite often magistrates and judges are able to see when police officers are fabricating a story.

do you qualify for legal aid?

Good luck
Such trust.

A friend lost control on gravel while turning right and crunched another car at the junction. He pleaded guilty to 'driving without due care', to save time and money, but wrote a non too complicated account of the cause.

The magistrates adjourned, and summoned him to appear. I guess so that justice could be seen to be done. Result a much higher than expected fine, points of course, and significant costs, and they wanted the hearing.

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
Such trust.

A friend lost control on gravel while turning right and crunched another car at the junction. He pleaded guilty to 'driving without due care', to save time and money, but wrote a non too complicated account of the cause.

The magistrates adjourned, and summoned him to appear. I guess so that justice could be seen to be done. Result a much higher than expected fine, points of course, and significant costs, and they wanted the hearing.

just a thought .
I do wish you good luck with it though.
found this document for SAR (subject access request) http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispat...onSelectionMethod=latestReleased&inline=false its for vodafone but i am guessing other providers should have a similar request form.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
That was not me:lol:, but seriously, I've since heard of 6 identical cases the same as this in the last few weeks. Half of them were woman who either never had a phone on them or had it zipped up in their handback & were "let off", the men who did have a phone in the car have all been charged. I now put my phone in the boot, and if stopped again and asked for it, I'll gladly get out of the car and open the boot for him.

Russ

I can be a little ''pig headed'' about things like this and I am with Parthiban on this. I would presume to go to court and whilst not being a lawyer I would be surprised if your employer cannot demand, on your behalf, the telephone records for evidence in a pending court case. You should not need a lawyer to simply present factual evidence in court......in any event it should not go to court if the evidence is presented to the prosecution in advance.
The key is the telephone records and if you have to go to court to get the court to demand the records then so be it......if you are innocent of the charges against you the court must support you in being able to demonstrate your innocence......but what do I know?
The media is an option but tread warily......probably best to get acquitted first and then brief the press.

Mic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML320 Sport, Obsidian Black

Russ

Probably just an easy way to get there "crime solved" results up :rolleyes:

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just a thought .
I do wish you good luck with it though.
found this document for SAR (subject access request) http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispat...onSelectionMethod=latestReleased&inline=false its for vodafone but i am guessing other providers should have a similar request form.

Thats nice to know but you have to provide proof of your identity, which must be the account holder before they will release this info. It is my works phone so I have to rely on them.

It also says they have 40 days to respond. I only have 28 days to decide what route to take. The whole set up stinks if you ask me.

Russ

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems to me the statement "the accused was observed driving his a Mercedes...."
will mean an increased fine (tax) and greater contribution to expenses.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Dreadful situation indeed. I often drive with one hand against my head which could look like I am on the phone. Looks like I need to change my habits.

I hope it gets sorted in your favour and the police are pulled over the coals for wasting time

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
Why didn't you get a handfree kit costing under £9 at Halfords?

Am I out of date with the law about using the mobile phone already?

BarryF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320 cdi avantgarde estate
Get on to your MP as fast as you can and get him/her involved. A letter from an MP seems to work wonders when dealing with those in authority. Also you can try the AA or RAC if you are a member as they both have legal departments. If you didn't do it then don't stand for a stitch up.
Barry

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
I would be so angry and would take further. How many times have they got away with this scam. Go to the newspapers - I would make a song and dance over it....and when I have been proven innocent through phone records I would sue for compensation. I know it's not the same but I took on a lying traffic warden -her word against mine.....and I was believed and was refunded the fine.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom