Pulling to left ... then 'releasing'

Lulu01

Reaction score
Morning all

I've read several of the pulling left type posts, but my car seems to be having a slightly different problem so thought I'd post a new thread.

My C220 (auto) drives along fine for a while, then it feels like someone has got hold of the steering wheel and is pulling it to the left. After a short distance it seems to 'release'. This is intermittment. There is also uneven tyre wear to the passenger front tyre.

I was thinking something easy like tracking but this 'release' thing is a bit weird, then I read various posts and lost the will to live :)

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
It will need not only tracking but possibly also adjustable camber bolts. Make sure you visit a clued up firm to do this (i.e. not kwik fit)

Before doing any of the ablove, get the front suspension arms checked for play. Have just done the torsion bar bushes on Mrs E's W203.

jackwall5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 Cdi Automatic
Jack's thinking of your problem description reads ...... something either slowing the front wheel down resulting in a pulling effect or something changing the tracking of the wheel, resulting in a wheel not running true, causing a slowing effect, resulting in a pulling effect. ... some of the more experienced will evaluate that thinkings ..

A brake issue would be more noticable all the time.

Underheavy braking, do you have vibration coming from that side?
I ask that not to point to brakes, but to point to the tracking arms as a possible.

I'd not consider that a bearing [even in the unlikely case of have a problem one] would cause this and in any case, you'd hear a whirring when turning also?

Do you get any vibration when turning right on constant corners ?

The uneven tyre wear is one strong indicator of a tracking issue [ but which which fix, control arms, actual trackling?]. I don't know if it is the only one.

I guess the more experienced members will be on sooner or later to advise.

I'd get it into the garage for a look / see soon because winter is coming and I'd I not like that happening on a corner full of black ice!

Safe Driving

jack

Last edited:
OP
L

Lulu01

Reaction score
Thanks rpe2 and jackwall5. Just to answer your questions:

There's no obvious vibrations from either side at any time. The only time I get vibrations is at the 80mph mark, then it's only slight.

No whirring noises at any time.

Lulu

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just in case it is a sticking caliper when it start to pull, drive it for a while when still doing this, then stop and check to see if the near side disc is very hot, and smells hot,,if it is much hotter than the one the other side then the caliper could be sticking.

The only other thing would be a valve on the box / rack

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom