Question for the indies

jonc78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202
How do you guys feel if a customer wants to watch you servicing/repairing their car and maybe assisting (when I say assisting, I mean passing the spanner)? Not to check that all the work is done but as means to learning a little more about my car. Would you consider it a pain in the arse and something you could do without or would you not mind?

Regards

Jon

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I always have people watching me, dont bother me one bit, passing me spanners etc might be a tad over the top tho, i have a seat next to my work bench, sit and ask away and dont get in the way......

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I always have people watching me, dont bother me one bit, passing me spanners etc might be a tad over the top tho, i have a seat next to my work bench, sit and ask away and dont get in the way......

+1, and not too much small talk when your in the middle of something. :)

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 Jag XJ 3.2 , 2x Alfa spiders, 1X Alfa GTV V6 3.0.
I'm sure there would be a health & safety issue lurking somewhere. I suspect that staff members are probably insured to be in the workshops, I doubt that the general public are. If there was an accident, I'll wager the insurance companies would refuse any claim.

Marcel-Anthony

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 Amg Sport Coupe, ML300, Slk 200k
I would not trust any garage that would not allow you to be around when the work is getting done. I don't mean that I want to be watching over them. But I have had such a bad experience of garages in the past now if I have to take my car to somewhere I don't know or even if I do know them, for work I will stay with the car, if they object I will go somewhere else.

In Spain this was a must. So far here in the UK most places I have been have been ok, but I am yet to find a local I am really confident with.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
I'm sure there would be a health & safety issue lurking somewhere. I suspect that staff members are probably insured to be in the workshops, I doubt that the general public are. If there was an accident, I'll wager the insurance companies would refuse any claim.

I have 5m public liability insurance and it's valid as long as I have the tools of my trade to hand.

A while back I watched a Kwik-Fit operative put my car on a lift incorrectly which buckled part of one sill.

I stepped in to photograph the damage, big row about be being able to be under the lift/in the work space/public liability ensued.

I won the argument on the spot, got the damage repaired and a written apology. Lot of aggro for a 50% off voucher :(

I've experience of only one Mercedes indi, MBS, and while it's welcome to be able to get under and have a look it can feel like encroaching on another's workspace. I'm happy for people to ask me what I'm doing when I'm working, and I get it a lot, just as long as they don't get in my way.

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
I am more than happy with customers chatting while i am working on their car, but as the others say providing they dont get in the way :)

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(

Colin likes to be hand fed Hobnobs bickies whilst he toils..
Talking of which I better remember to bring some with me next week Colin !!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Colin likes to be hand fed Hobnobs bickies whilst he toils..
Talking of which I better remember to bring some with me next week Colin !!

Dont no what you are talking about Simon????

Thats just a nasty rumour started by a forum member!!!!

See ya next week..

Dont forget the biccys:D:D

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I am looking forwards to meeting up with you Colin.
It seems like absolute ages since we chatted.
I am genuinely looking forwards to it (So is my car).

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Dont no what you are talking about Simon????

Thats just a nasty rumour started by a forum member!!!!

See ya next week..

Dont forget the biccys:D:D

Ha ha Cole you have just been busted :D

OP
J

jonc78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202
Answers duly noted. I will sit on the bench, not talk during the tricky bits and I definitely won't touch the spanners.:rolleyes:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom