R 107 electric window stop,or not?

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Hello,

When I acquired my car,I noticed that the driver's door did not shut as smoothly as the passenger side.I put this down to ageing,until I noticed that it didn't line up with the rear quarter panel either,too low.

I reset the door striker plate and the door now shuts as it should and is level with the quarter panel.

However...when the electric window is fully closed,it fouls the windscreen pillar seal and prevents the door from closing at all.

This is easily remedied by simply backing the window off a few mm

I guess that the dealer or previous owner had identified the problem,but I don't see resetting the door downwards by around 5 mm as the correct solution,apart from anything else,it was fouling the frame,top rear and it certainly did nothing for the car's appearance.

The windscreen pillar seal had also been covered in unsightly PVC tape,when I removed it, I found the seal in perfect order underneath so I guess this was part of the "solution".

A simple comparison with the passenger door revealed that the driver's door window does indeed stop in a higher position.

My question is,is there an adjustable stop for the window,or indeed a stop at all and if so,will I find it inside or outside the winding mechanism?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards,
Nick.

OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Here is a place to start.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1306459-window-adjustment.html#post2256865

Looks to be a real PITA. Note, they say do it with the soft top up, then ADJUST the hard top to fit.

Many thanks,I have registered with the forum and downloaded the .pdf.,at first look, I may only have one setting to alter.
I bet it's been like this for years. I can live with backing the window off a little for a short while,but I could see it becoming really annoying...

Thanks again,
Regards,
Nick

type49

Reaction score
Dont alter settings yet. The fault is most likely to be the end stop has fallen off the window. No adjustments are big enough to cure this if you use "one-touch" to close the window, so don't adjust anything untill you know what the problem is. Remove the door panel first

OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont alter settings yet. The fault is most likely to be the end stop has fallen off the window. No adjustments are big enough to cure this if you use "one-touch" to close the window, so don't adjust anything untill you know what the problem is. Remove the door panel first

Noted,thanks
Nick.

OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have weighed up the job of removing the door panel and as,in 25 years, no one has managed to damage it or its fittings yet,I am not keen to be the first.

I have already checked and there is definitely no Haynes Manual,more's the pity.

At the risk of becoming a nuisance,there must be a set of instructions...

Many thanks.

Regards,
Nick.

type49

Reaction score
Noted,thanks
Nick.

Nooooooo ---- Sorry, Ive just noticed your car is a 107, for some reason I read it as a 170:Oops: Forget what I wrote, it's all wrong for this model:rolleyes:

OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nooooooo ---- Sorry, Ive just noticed your car is a 107, for some reason I read it as a 170:Oops: Forget what I wrote, it's all wrong for this model:rolleyes:

Don't worry,I took a look at removing the door trim and got no further.

I am still hoping a kind forum member will help me out with some instructions.

Regards,

Nick

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Don't worry,I took a look at removing the door trim and got no further.

I am still hoping a kind forum member will help me out with some instructions.

Regards,

Nick

The person who can best help you with the workshop instructions for removing the door card is Malcolm (Television), but he is currently on holiday. He will be back soon and no doubt will try to catch up with massive numbers of similar requests. So be patient unless anybody else has access to the appropriate system to give you the instructions.

OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The person who can best help you with the workshop instructions for removing the door card is Malcolm (Television), but he is currently on holiday. He will be back soon and no doubt will try to catch up with massive numbers of similar requests. So be patient unless anybody else has access to the appropriate system to give you the instructions.

Thanks,I have endless patience in matters like this where expert advice is free of charge.:)

Regards,
Nick.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
ncooper

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Malcolm,Thank you for the links.

I have stumbled across a detailed guide in
.pdf format which can be found here...
http://northernresource.com/mercedes/pdf/door-panel-removal.pdf

I attach the link in case it's of use to anyone else,having taken so long to find one.

It's enough to convince me that I can easily live with just not quite closing the window fully.

It's a very detailed and well written guide and might be worth adding to the DIY section,as a sticky?

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom