R. I. P Sabine Schmitz

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
The only time I'd wish for a van not to be washed.

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
Such a shame, put Clarkson and Co,s driving in the shade, a bubbly happy excellent driver.

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
Both Murray Walker and Sabine Schmitz gone in 4 days. :(
Although equally sad you knew it was coming sooner rather than later with Murray, but more of a shock with Sabine because she was still relatively young and it had not been publicised that she was fighting cancer.
Top Gear on Sunday will have a dedication to Sabine.
It was she published it a while ago

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that vid from first post shows her driving pretty well (I suspect she looks that good as it's her home circuit and she knew where u can push it in the wet)...
prog on BBC about her last night on iplayer…. will be shown BBC1 19:30 this coming Wednesday 7 Apr

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Very sad. A lovely lady RIP Sabine.

OP
Gazwould

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
A fitting tribute .

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
A great tribute on BBC1 tonight. A fantastic lady.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
A great tribute on BBC1 tonight. A fantastic lady.

A sad loss, and that BBC 1 tribute last night was quite good, I haven't watched a single episode of Top Gear since Clarkson, May, and the other one left, and it was good to see them again, especially JC.

Normal German pronunciation is to pronounce the "E" on the end of Sabine, as with Porsche, but no-one on the programme did, I wonder if that was the way Sabine preferred her name pronounced?

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Normal German pronunciation is to pronounce the "E" on the end of Sabine, as with Porsche, but no-one on the programme did, I wonder if that was the way Sabine preferred her name pronounced?
Susie Wollf was pronouncing the e at the end. :)
This must be the correct pronunciation like you say, and you would expect her to get it right.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I always dislike the way people with names that have a Germanic stem insist on Anglicising it - I used to grate my teeth when the MP Gerald Kaufman called himself “Korfman”. And every Epstein seems to pronounce their name Ep-Steen”

Funny really because people like to take the Mickey out of foreigners ‘ mispronunciations of English words!

Still. I think the most grating one is people who sell their stuff at “octshuns”. Presumably they drive there in an “ottomatic” !

OK: Gripe over!

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
I always dislike the way people with names that have a Germanic stem insist on Anglicising it - I used to grate my teeth when the MP Gerald Kaufman called himself “Korfman”. And every Epstein seems to pronounce their name Ep-Steen”

Gripe supported!

Gerald Kaufman was oily character, who never came across as very likeable, but he was born in Leeds not Deutschland. Maybe he'd just accepted the inevitable English mispronunciation of the surname his Polish Jew parents had given him. Some of Germanic decent are more militant about retaining the original pronunciation of their name. American born Composer/conductor Leonard Bernstein (Ukrainian Jewish parents), was famous for loudly correcting anyone who adressed him as Mr Bern-steen, "It's Bern- STEIN!"

UK born Cook & restaurateur Rick Stein has never debased his heritage in this way.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom