R107 500SL Cruise control actuator removal

van883

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 500SL 2003 CLK320
Hi, any tips on how to remove it? The plug seems to be completely inaccessible behind the front panel

thanks

Van

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
it is a job for a contortionist

I couldn't get the old one off when replacing mine, I had to settle for easing the plug out, connecting to the replacement, and cable-tying that to the original module with some foam padding to kill rattles. Highly unsatisfactory in a tidy way, but it worked as a fix.

I ended up on my back, head up in the pedal box , legs hanging over the seat either side of the headrest, and the mem handing me stuff up to my hands over my head and by the module) as I called for it.

If you've the time and the space, best to take the driving seat out and position yourself more comfortably. Or train some small children to do it for you.

OP
V

van883

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 500SL 2003 CLK320
I couldn't get the old one off when replacing mine, I had to settle for easing the plug out, connecting to the replacement, and cable-tying that to the original module with some foam padding to kill rattles. Highly unsatisfactory in a tidy way, but it worked as a fix.

I ended up on my back, head up in the pedal box , legs hanging over the seat either side of the headrest, and the mem handing me stuff up to my hands over my head and by the module) as I called for it.

If you've the time and the space, best to take the driving seat out and position yourself more comfortably. Or train some small children to do it for you.
Hi, I think we are talking about different parts. I am talking about the actuator which is bolted to the cylinder head:
Cruisecontrol_zpsc1a5ef9c.jpg

OP
V

van883

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 500SL 2003 CLK320
Has no one any advice on this?.....please!

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
sorry Van

I'm as stumped as you. Ugly as it may sound, maybe a cut and splice job is in order. Just don't shorten the length of your replacement actuator cable. It's probably possible to buy the socket from the dealers and you could graft it onto the old cable, until you work out some way of doing it originally.

despite having replaced the cruise control brain, and it working fine, I still don't use it other than to remind myself it still works. I just enjoy driving the SL too much to go auto-pilot on it.

OP
V

van883

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 500SL 2003 CLK320
I'm as stumped as you. Ugly as it may sound, maybe a cut and splice job is in order. Just don't shorten the length of your replacement actuator cable. It's probably possible to buy the socket from the dealers and you could graft it onto the old cable, until you work out some way of doing it originally.

despite having replaced the cruise control brain, and it working fine, I still don't use it other than to remind myself it still works. I just enjoy driving the SL too much to go auto-pilot on it.

I am glad it is not just me who wonders how on earth to get to the plug. I want my cruise to work because it doesn't...not because I want to use it much!
Van

OP
V

van883

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 500SL 2003 CLK320
I managed to unplug the unit (the connector is clipped to the back of the front panel) and replace the actuator with one that apparently works. Still no working CC. Previously y indie said they tested the control box, and swapped it with a known functioning unit which did not work either...so they suggested the actuator. Ho hum...

Pullman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1981 500SL_1999 500SL_(2002 CL600 sold) 2003 500SL
For future reference ... As stated by van883 ...the location of the connector is behind the o/s front valance between the headlight and radiator. Slide it up wards to remove it from the panel. With a bit of care you can lift the cap off of the plug to reveal the colours of the wires. I now need a cunning plan how to test the motor. Just checked ..the white( pin 7) is power and the brown(pin 1) is the earth.

Cruisecontrol connector (1).JPG Cruisecontrol connector (2).JPG Cruisecontrol connector (3).JPG Cruisecontrol connector (4).JPG Cruisecontrol connector (5).JPG

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom