R107 Blue smoke on acceleration - MoT fail?

shakeel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi estate 2000 model
3 litre 1988 model 109,000 miles just failed it's MoT due to blue smoke on acceleration.

Is there an interim solution to get me through the MoT, like Forte engine oil additive?

I understand that my valve stems may need replacing, and the valve guides.
However I'd prefer to do the job in a couple of months time when I have more cash.

Any ideas most welcome

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Did it only fail the emmission test then ? (Smoke is not an MOT listed failure).
If so then give it a good dose of injector cleaner take it on a good long run to get it nice and hot and run the test again --(remember you only have 10 days for the re-test) it should pass.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
3 litre 1988 model 109,000 miles just failed it's MoT due to blue smoke on acceleration.

Is there an interim solution to get me through the MoT, like Forte engine oil additive?

I understand that my valve stems may need replacing, and the valve guides.
However I'd prefer to do the job in a couple of months time when I have more cash.

Any ideas most welcome

It is not uncommon to attribute sophisticated diagnoses to simple problems, and you may well be correct about the valve stems and guides. But it is not a particularly high mileage car. I would be inclined to take it out on the open road and treat it to an "Italian tune up" - let it clear it's lungs.

If the car does not do many miles, or does not get opened out that often, you may well find it will respond to a good blast. I don't think there is any downside to giving it a try.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It is not uncommon to attribute sophisticated diagnoses to simple problems, and you may well be correct about the valve stems and guides. But it is not a particularly high mileage car. I would be inclined to take it out on the open road and treat it to an "Italian tune up" - let it clear it's lungs.

If the car does not do many miles, or does not get opened out that often, you may well find it will respond to a good blast. I don't think there is any downside to giving it a try.

Apart from 3 points if you get caught, :(. Milage or the lack of does not effect valve seals, they just harden with age.

OP
S

shakeel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that - I'll give both the additive and the Italian de-choke a try tomorrow

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Smoke on acceleration is ring or bores, smoke after sitting at traffic lights and pulling away is valves

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
and let us not forget the possibility of a split diaphram in the gearbox modulator.

do the gearbox changes 'bang' at all?

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
on that generation of car it will, as the oil gets into the vacuum pipes and then into engine.

OP
S

shakeel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, so far have done the italian tune-up and added Wynn's additive to engine oil to reduce smokey emissions. Both have helped a lot, and the exhaust oily smell is far less now than a couple of days ago.

However, I do have a little blue smoke after sitting at traffic lights, as Malcolm mentioned, which suggests valves.
And my gearchanges do bang a bit, as Alexander mentioned. Where and how do I examine a split diaphram in the gearbox modulator? Or can I examine the vacuum tubes you mentioned, and search for oily deposits there?
It seems quite feasible that I could have an engine valve issue and a split diaphragm in my gearbox modulator.
Any idea as to next steps?

Thanks again for your suggestions

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you saying a split gear change diaphragm could cause a smoke cloud to be emitted?

yes, and it can give you a serious amount of smoke, think batman or whacky races.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sorry DM, i did think it odd that you did not!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks all, so far have done the italian tune-up and added Wynn's additive to engine oil to reduce smokey emissions. Both have helped a lot, and the exhaust oily smell is far less now than a couple of days ago.

However, I do have a little blue smoke after sitting at traffic lights, as Malcolm mentioned, which suggests valves.
And my gearchanges do bang a bit, as Alexander mentioned. Where and how do I examine a split diaphram in the gearbox modulator? Or can I examine the vacuum tubes you mentioned, and search for oily deposits there?
It seems quite feasible that I could have an engine valve issue and a split diaphragm in my gearbox modulator.
Any idea as to next steps?

Thanks again for your suggestions

m.mycat

There is a parts kit 111 here

m.mycat

OP
S

shakeel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, the car passed her MoT today.

So, I have the reprieve I wanted before examining valves and gearbox modulator diaphragm.
Thanks everyone for helping me through this one

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom