R107 heater ticking- why?

koksy

Reaction score
Hi all,

If I have the blower switched on (hot or cold) on my 1975 350SL, it makes a rapid continuous ticking noise from inside the dashboard... but only when I turn the steering wheel left or right! It sounds as if the noise is coming out of the central blower vents. However, as soon as I turn the fan off there is no more ticking when I turn the steering wheel. Any ideas what may be causing this?:confused:

Last edited:

johnboy615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 c220 Coupe
Could be something as simple as leaves in the heater box. A really good blow out might clear it through for you. Water also causes the same problem but for once we've had welcome little of that lately. JB

OP
K

koksy

Reaction score
But that wouldnt explain why it only does it when I turn the steering wheel johnboy...

johnboy615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 c220 Coupe
Very true. Maybe I should post the specs on before reading and replying! Ooops! Now I can see the question I have no idea at all why it should happen when steering. That is a strange one! JB

J

Jimmyboy

This is not going to help at all! But it may be related and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced it: When I have the air-con switched on I get a light ticking sound like a fan bearing running dry. But it is still there when I turn the blower fan off (I thought the air-con compressor clutch disengaged when the fan was switched off). As soon as I turn the air-con off, the sound goes. It goes (or I can't hear it) when I close the centre console vents. It is too light a sound for the compressor bearings and it can't be the clutch bearing as the noise would only occur if the air-con was OFF! It has been going on for a long time and hasn't got any worse. What the devil is it???

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom