R107 SL headlamp wiper electronic motor (coil type) repair

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
I have a problem with the headlamp washers and wipers on my 107 - neither work - I assume that this is the relay that "joins" the lighting and waher / wiper circuitry. I haven't yet done alot of work on the car and am finding my way round it - but what I haven't found is where all the relays are kept ! Can anyone help me locate these on an 89 car ?

its probably siezed up. is the motor for the healamp washer nozzles still connected? it often jams (as mine was) in the ON position so owners disconnect the nozzles.

the whole fix/restoration of mine is here:

http://r107restoration.blogspot.com/search/label/Headlamp Wash/Wipe System

http://r107restoration.blogspot.com

i can happily report my wipers now function 100% correctly after the rebuild.

p.s. the "resister" that i mentioned to begin with was fine in the end...

Last edited:

gaunty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'89 300SL, Audi A4 diesel bus
Bloimey - you did some work !

The washer motor is still connected. The blades of the headlamp wipers can be manually moved - not sure if this gives any indication of the seized or not status of the mechanism. I was inclined to check the circuitry first as it is probably less invasive to the car !

Any ideas where I can find the relevant relays for these circuits ?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
probably up in the drivers footwell

with a whole bunch of others . try a search on cruise control 107, I'm sure we had a diagram in one of those threads. Or OVP 107.

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
if you can move the wipers using your hands then this could be 3 things:

(a) there is an electrical problem and the wipers are not siezed

(b) the wipers are simply spinning on their spindles - check the spindles are moving when you turn them aswell as the wiper arm itself

(c) the cog(s) and/or the inner rods are stripped of their "thread"

if (b) or (c) then your motor is probably siezed.

i'd bet on c unfortunatly as one of mine was like this. you will probably get away with turning the road upside down on re-assemble as these parts are NLA now!

if you take the little rubber caps off the end of the rod "tubes" you'll be able to see with a torch whether the rods are moving with the wipers.

i wouldnt want to test this, in fear of breaking my own, but i suspect the wiper arms cannot be moved by hand and the motor turn without power due to the high gearing involved.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

follow my steps in the blog though and i'm sure you can get them working! just be extra careful with everything as all the major parts are either NLA or super expensive (and i mean £££'s). i think (if it were available) the whole mechanism in parts would be almost £2k

putting 12v to the red wire connector on here should make the motor automatically run regardless of "proper stalk operated function": this should tell you whether the motor is siezed or not. if the motor runs then it means you either have electrical wire problems getting 12v to this via the proper way, or that the wipers rods are slipping on the cogs.

Headlamp_washwipe005.jpg

Headlamp_washwipe013.jpg

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom