R129 Front wheel bearings and strut mounts

SteveSL

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1997
Hello Forum,
New boy here.
I have a question on sources for spares.
I've just acquired a 97 320SL. The car initially had some front suspension issues.
I've had new wishbone ball joints, drag link and damper, roll bar bushes and a few other bits taken care of by a local indy.
I'm about to DIY front strut mounts and wheel bearings. The strut mounts are visibly perished and start to split if the car is jacked. The wheel bearings were slack, and although I've adjusted them, I think they are contributing to cabin noise.

So to the questions:
Are there any preferred or "must be avoided" suppliers of these parts. I've seen bearings on Ebay that range from £30 to £150 (QH).Are the expensive ones worth the extra?

Also, can anyone recommend a useful and available diy manual.

Thanks in anticipation
SteveSL

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom