R129 hardtop leaks rain

E280T

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Last week i've placed the hardtop on my '93 R129 300SL and ever since that moment raindrops leak into the cabin during heavy rain. It seems that it comes from the corner of the A-pillar where it's main rubber meets the rubber of the hardtop. With the softtop on there were sometimes a few drops but never anything serious. There is no noise or extra wind coming so it seems like the hardtop is placed properly. The problem also only occurs on the driver's side (see image).

Is this a known problem? I'm thinking of removing the hardtop and just inspecting the rubbers. Maybe replacing the A-pillar rubber or simply applying some grease which could help keep the rubbers soft.

Other suggestions are very welcome...

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 244

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hello everyone,

Last week I've placed the hardtop on my '93 R129 300SL and ever since that moment raindrops leak into the cabin during heavy rain. It seems that it comes from the corner of the A-pillar where it's main rubber meets the rubber of the hardtop. With the soft top on there were sometimes a few drops but never anything serious. There is no noise or extra wind coming so it seems like the hardtop is placed properly. The problem also only occurs on the driver's side (see image).

Is this a known problem? I'm thinking of removing the hardtop and just inspecting the rubbers. Maybe replacing the A-pillar rubber or simply applying some grease which could help keep the rubbers soft.

Other suggestions are very welcome...

Cheers

Hi. You have certainly hit upon on of the suggested solutions.

When I got my 129 I was advised that this was a risk, although in 5 years it has never happened, in spite of having been through tropical rainstorms in the soft top and a car wash in the hard top.

I was advised to keep a tub of Vaseline in the arm rest and to smear some across the seal at the top of the windscreen. I have never needed to do so, and the Vaseline remains unmolested.

As you will probably not take the hard top on and off too often, I would release the seal. prop the front edge up to enable access, put a thick smear of Vaseline on and reseal.

It will be interesting to hear how successful that is.

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
Ok cool.

I will apply the Vaseline this afternoon and report back ;))

Cheers!

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
This afternoon I opened the hardtop and the rubber on the left corner was a bit loose. I glued it back to the hardtop and then before placing the hardtop back I applied Vaseline between the rubbers for a better seal. Hopefully all is waterproof now :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The front strip on the hard top should be unscrewed, clean off the old mastic and new should be applied, you only tighten up the screws enough for the roof to be closed, htis was a common fault some years back,, I still have the instructions that I can send you

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
The front strip on the hard top should be unscrewed, clean off the old mastic and new should be applied, you only tighten up the screws enough for the roof to be closed, htis was a common fault some years back,, I still have the instructions that I can send you

Thanks!
It seems to not leak, but then again, there were no heavy rain falls (yet).
Please send them to my e-mail if possible? namynosratifard@hotmail.com

cheers, Namy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it :D:D

AndrewSLC

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Could you possibly email me your instructions as well.

Mine is dripping buckets from the A-Pillar at the moment!

Ireland is a wet country to have a leaking car!

Cheers

Andrew

James1976

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1994 300SL-24 in Bornite for fun, 2010 Smart Passion for the City in white
+1 for please email instructions! However, you may well find it's the seal between the rainwater gulley and the front trim strip - the raintwater gulley can send the rainwater striaght under the front of the front seal if you get me meaning - have a look and see - it then drains through the inside of the hard top and striaght out the seal inside - when it leaks feel beneath the hardtop seal and you'll find it's coming through from the inside.

Would appreicate instructions to try the method for the front seal too however, to see if that helps!

J

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
+1 for please email instructions! However, you may well find it's the seal between the rainwater gulley and the front trim strip - the raintwater gulley can send the rainwater striaght under the front of the front seal if you get me meaning - have a look and see - it then drains through the inside of the hard top and striaght out the seal inside - when it leaks feel beneath the hardtop seal and you'll find it's coming through from the inside.

Would appreicate instructions to try the method for the front seal too however, to see if that helps!

J

I need an Email address please and I can send all the roof adjustment papers

James1976

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Television! It's jamessmithmercedes1 at btinternet.com

Much appreciated...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few things sent,,are they OK

James1976

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks! I've received them and the mind is already boggling from the number of adjustments - some bedtime reading for sure!

Best,

James

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have loads more if you cannot sleep ;):D

James1976

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LOL! Believe you me, in getting this Merc back into fine fettle I've looked at far more parts diagrams than I, or my MB dealer would care to mention and I really would rather now spend my time driving and waxing rather than re-constructing! :rolleyes:

Thanks once again :D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom