R129 hardtop

STEVE57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver SL280
Having a problem with my 1999 sl hardtop, can't find any similar problems.
While releasing the hard top the rear catches did not fully release, when I tried to relock it the rear catches would not lock. Roof now only locked with front catches and standing proud and not engaged at the rear.
Any suggestions please.
Steve

gladholm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black SL320 2000 R129
With the rear catches in the closed position, and the roof resting on them, it may be that when going through the full open process, the weight is preventing them unlocking. Just an idea? but try a soft lift of the weight at the rear of the roof at the start of the roof opening process.
Are you running the engine for the "extra few volts" during the operation? It all helps.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The rear catches are adjustable for position, and it is important that they are directly in line with the holes for the locks, if they are out of adjustment or one has become bent it will cause the roof to stick

OP
S

STEVE57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver SL280
gladholm/ Malcom
Weight did not seem to be the problem as with assistance fault still there.

Catches all align and do not seem to be the problem.

After several attempts, unlock/lock cycles it finally locked down.
However roof switch remains illuminated, get audible alarm when move off, then roof switch flashes continiously.

Tried 3 resets for: windows, roll bar and windows and roof switch as previously suggested in other threads.
None of these work with regards switch light and alarm.

Any other suggestions, please.
Steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This still shows that the roof is not correctly aligned and that one of the locks has not engaged correctly.

You should go around the 4 locks with the manual key to see what one it is

OP
S

STEVE57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver SL280
Can see the front manual locking points, where are and how do you get to the rear locks?

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Pull the rear covers off in the boot and you can manually (un)latch the catches using the tool in the toolroll. Normally the roof has been seated incorrectly (i.e too far forward) and then either one or both catches lock without engaged the hardtop.

OP
S

STEVE57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver SL280
Manual un(latching) does not resolve the problem.
Auto will lock both hard and soft tops, although the light remains on and alarm sounds.
I presume it must be a faulty microswitch/sensor.
How are these accessed/removed?
I don't suppose there is an easy way to check all 4 to identify the faulty unit?
Do any wiring diagrams exist?
Further help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
Best to get the fault codes read to be honest. The sensors are all pretty accessible but testing will take some time.

The gong will sound if the speed signal is also missing.

I have wiring diagrams for pre '96 models but not for the feint-hearted!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom