r129 hood problem

kevinclark2002

Reaction score
I have searched through a number of posts detailing problems with the roof mechanism, but have been unable to find anything which quite matches the problem I am encountering.

Hard top released fine and everything seemed good. Went to put soft top up and was delighted to see that everything appeared to working well. Unfortunately, the very last bit of the operation failed. The soft top bow stopped in the upright position and did not drop down. I tried the operation several times, but always with the same result. however everything does lock in to place with a little help. tried all tha reset advice windows up and down and roll bar but nothing.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.

kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, what year is the car please

OP
K

kevinclark2002

Reaction score
1993 have been looking at it today and if u put a live to the solidnoid at about the time when it needs to use it it works fine.

thanks kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did your measure the point where you applied the voltage, if it was missing then a interlock switch is playing up

OP
K

kevinclark2002

Reaction score
dosent seem to be any micro switches as they all seem to work but i have took the roof control unit apart and found a relay that is not working when i switched it manualy it worked the hood so i'm going to loop in another relay and see if that works also this unit seems to work alot of other stuff to as when i disconnected it most things dont work.
thanks kevin

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
A brave man dismantles the roof ECU given it's £1k to replace!

Logic controls the relays based on information from sensors - there's usually a reason why the roof stops working so I suggest you get DTCs read before you do something you'll regret...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have safety switches all over the car, every opening compartment has them, if one does not work, then the roof stops, and they are all wired in series, you need to check them further back in the car

Top Bottom