R129: In-dash clock "adjuster" now wonky

adaco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500SL/1990/V8
When I was changing the time on my clock recently, with the small pullout "adjuster", I inadvertently attempted to turn it counter-clockwise. It still works fine, insofar as re-setting the time, and the clock itself works. But, alas, the problem: unless I turn the adjuster very hard clockwise (with the adjuster pushed in), against resistance, the hands continue to speed around the clock as in a normal re-set.....except they won't stop. That is, until I again turn the adjuster hard clockwise, against resistance, and then all seems well, until a slight bump in the road...and the clock is literally off to the races again.

I have fiddled with the adjuster from the outside, but it will only stop the clock for a bit, and then away it goes again.

(1) I assume the only answer is to replace the adjuster. Can I get at it to do it myself and, if so, what does it look like (from behind) on those wonderful schematics that Malcolm always comes up with?

(2) In the meantime, so the clock does not keep turning continuously, is there anyway I can temporarily disarm it? (Judging by the "index" on the fuse box lid, the relevant fuse appears to cover many important things, in addition to the clock)

Any and all thoughts appreciated, as always.

Barrie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I need the next 3 number after 129 on the VIN please, there about 6 different clusters on these cars. They can all be dismantled, but some later ones are in 2 layers.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
When you pull out the "adjuster" dose it spring back in again when you let it go? It is spring loaded.
If the spring is the cause of the problem, try pushing the "adjuster" inwards, maybe keep it in place with a bit of Bluetack.

Can’t remember if you have to take the PCB board off to get to the back of the adjuster.

The problem could be the clock itself but it dose seem to me to be the spring.
Below, examples, not your cluster but same idea.

Dec

W202Cluster.jpg

ClusterOpen.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the pics Dec, the 129 are very different and the year make a huge difference as to what can be replaced, by the end of the run, there is hardly anything replaceable. Digital clocks were in use after 1996, but use the same button to set the clock.

The fault can only be the leaf switch contacts need to be straightened or adjusted, and this is on the PCB.

Just for the record, 129s have a self test feature to test every component.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Thanks for the pics Dec, the 129 are very different and the year make a huge difference as to what can be replaced, by the end of the run, there is hardly anything replaceable. Digital clocks were in use after 1996, but use the same button to set the clock.

The fault can only be the leaf switch contacts need to be straightened or adjusted, and this is on the PCB.

Just for the record, 129s have a self test feature to test every component.

Self test feature ? please explain Malcom , my 129 is a 1990 300 sl and didn't know about this and I'm now intrigued .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This can be only done on cars fitted with a digital outside temp display.

I can send you the info.

The heater control box also has a built in self check, and this info goes for the 140 as well, including the instrument cluster

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
This can be only done on cars fitted with a digital outside temp display.

I can send you the info.

The heater control box also has a built in self check, and this info goes for the 140 as well, including the instrument cluster

Yes my car does have digital temperature display ,the only thing digital on the car I think . I'm really curiouse now ? so could you please send as I would be very grateful for the info.

OP
A

adaco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500SL/1990/V8
Malcolm:
The next 3 numbers after the 129 are "066"
Barrie
p.s. Many thanks for the recent detail on the re and re of the parking light array. A matter of minutes and done, thanks to you...and nothing bent or broken!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes my car does have digital temperature display ,the only thing digital on the car I think . I'm really curiouse now ? so could you please send as I would be very grateful for the info.

I have sent it to you:D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom