R129 roft top reproofing

tim1961

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500sl
After 19 years the old sl soft top is starting to let in a little water, especially around the back window. I know a good clean of the fabric and windows will be required beforehand . Has anyone done this before and knows the best products to use. As I have found in the past you can not cut corners with these cars as you just have to go back and do it properly the next time.
thanks for any help

philmayfield

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
r129 SL320
Autoglym do a 2 bottle cleaning and reproofing kit for soft tops. I have used this and can recommend.

Phil

puter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 SL500, SLC 200.
I agree with Phil. Try the Autoglym products I think you will be well satisfied click HERE

Sorry Tim the Hyperlink has decided not to work, so you will have to Google Autoglym

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have used the MB version with cleaner an re proofing,, enough for two goes at £25

Drogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500, Lexus IS200
I've just done mine with Renovo, cleaner, colour restorer then the re proffer. Simple enough to use, just follow the instructions really.

I've used Renovo for some years on MX5's vinyl roofs so hope all will be ok with the canvas of the SL.

www.renovointernational.com/shop/index.php

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I've just done mine with Renovo, cleaner, colour restorer then the re proffer. Simple enough to use, just follow the instructions really.

I've used Renovo for some years on MX5's vinyl roofs so hope all will be ok with the canvas of the SL.

www.renovointernational.com/shop/index.php

I used the Renovo cleaner and colour restorer too and can't recommend it too highly.

IanA2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Does anyone breed Mohair's over here :confused:

You've lost me there Malcolm, are you referring to goats? My ref was to the hood, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the SL hoods are made with mohair. Could well be wrong, but it sure isn't canvas.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You've lost me there Malcolm, are you referring to goats? My ref was to the hood, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the SL hoods are made with mohair. Could well be wrong, but it sure isn't canvas.

No,, you are correct and they are Mohair,,I just wondered where the mohair came from.

Yes just looked it up and you are right again, an Angora goat

I have learnt something new than you ;):D

OP
T

tim1961

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500sl
thanks for the reponses. I will check out what you've recomended.

Top Bottom